1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius engine runs when when screen says it's off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by GaryK, Mar 4, 2007.

1. GaryK

GaryK New Member

Ever since I took my 2004 Prius in for a recall, the engine has continued to run at times when the screen shows it should be off. I had the service people take a took at it, and they ran tests, but claimed they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Has anyone else had this experience, and if so, was there a cure?

Thanks,

Gary

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GaryK @ Mar 4 2007, 06:53 PM) [snapback]400102[/snapback]</div>
    There is NO indication on the MFD showing whether the ICE is on or off. There's no "cure".

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's an "Energy Monitor"

so.. if the engine isn't charging the battery, then it won't show the arrows.

4. GaryK

GaryK New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Mar 4 2007, 10:00 PM) [snapback]400105[/snapback]</div>
    So why is the engine running then, and why didn't it do this before the recall? The engine now tends to run while coasting to a stop, and then only stops when I step on the accelerator. That does not seem normal to me.

5. DFWPrius

DFWPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GaryK @ Mar 4 2007, 11:07 PM) [snapback]400114[/snapback]</div>
    If your recall was updated software, their have been a few cases where Prius shut down on the freeway.

The fix was to program the ICE to run a bit longer or to run at times in the past it would have shut down.

I have not seen a posting on shut down on the freeway since the update to software.

Of course take mechanic for a test ride to confirm would be a good idea.

6. GaryK

GaryK New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DFWPrius @ Mar 4 2007, 10:30 PM) [snapback]400123[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting. That was the reason for the recall I took it in for, although I had never had the engine stop on me. The same day I brought it back, it ran for 5 minutes after I put it in park. I was told that the ICE had lost "my" driving habits, so I once it "learned" how I drove, things would be back to normal, but it's been about 15 months now and still does not work like it used to. I used to get 60 plus mpg on nearly every tank, but now it's usually 55 mpg at best.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm... I can't say it hurt my mileage after I did the recall since I was still in the break-in period.

I have heard about the 'learning' bit but again I can't give you my experience since I took the car in for the recall pretty much a year after I bought it and I was learning how to drive the Prius efficiently at that time.

8. sebapisa

sebapisa Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GaryK @ Mar 4 2007, 08:07 PM) [snapback]400114[/snapback]</div>
    I've noticed that too with my non-recalled '07. I understand that the MFD is an energy monitor but if the ICE is not charging the battery or moving the car it's not going to show any arrows, which is ok.
    However I think you have a point because IF the ICE is not charging or moving the car then WHY is it on? The smart computers in the car should turn it off.
    An answer I can think of, and take this from a new onwer, is that the ICE is running to stay warm.
    Hope it helps.

9. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GaryK @ Mar 4 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]400114[/snapback]</div>
    Is your battery fully charged when you observe this? I can induce the "engine running" condition on a daily basis by going over a big hill on my way to work. At the bottom of the hill there is a STOP sign and 99% of the time my battery will be full. At that point the computer forces the engine to turn over to drain excess battery power.

It's a "feature" not a bug :lol:

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    My 04 does the same thing . . . prior to & after ECU upgrades. I'm guessing it does it sometimes because the smog crap feels the ICE ought to be warmer, as it tends to be happening below 70 degrees (of course if the batterys aren't full charged, that does it too). How I cure it: When you roll up to a stop, just prior to stopping I throw it in 'N'. Then as soon as it stops I throw it in 'P'. ICE stops. Then I just throw it back into 'D'.

Well it's corny, but it works . . . or I just let the dang ICE thing do it's thing, if other folks are in the car . . . so they won't know how OCD I am. :lol:

11. GaryK

GaryK New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ari @ Mar 9 2007, 07:45 PM) [snapback]403098[/snapback]</div>
    No, usually the battery is about half full when it keeps running. It probably tends to do it the most when the engine is cold or colder. Even does it in park sometimes.

12. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi GaryK,

There are a few reasons the engine may be running, while there are no arrows on the screen. Usually it has to do with Heat. Either heat to defrost the windows (do you have your defroster on?). Heat to warm up the inside of the car (do you have your Climate control set to Auto?). This usually only happens in my 2006 for the first 10 minutes of driving, however. After that the engine and cabin are warmed up to accomadate the 66 degree cabin temp I have set here during the winter.

The other issue is catalytic converter heat. Catalytic converters need to be warm for the chemical reactions that convert hydrocarbons to water and carbon dioxide to occur in the small amount of time it takes the exhaust gases to flow through. So, the car will run the engine after an extended stop light, or down hill glide to heat the catalytic converters back up.

I do not know how valid this is, but I have tried putting the car in park while at a stop light. On occaision this will cause the car to go into battery charge mode. Othertimes it does nothing. And sometimes the car will go into battery charge mode without being switched into park. It seems to me if the engine is running, the extra load of charging would at least help it stay in an efficient load zone, while also supplying waste heat to the climate controls and catalytic converter.

13. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

My observation: in heavy traffic (I spend a lot of time in it), the system sometimes seems to 'give up' on stopping and starting the ICE. It seems to happen after it has stopped the ICE and then immediately needed to start again because traffic is moving again. After a few of these incidents, the computer seems to give up and just keeps the ICE running. It will only stop after I completely stop the car for a few seconds, or after a certain timeout (?). If the battery does not need a charge (or cannot handle it, being too hot/too cold), you see no arrows when the ICE is running in this situation.

This 'I give up' situation is not the only time the ICE runs without powering anything, as others have noted, it also runs more often in cold weather to heat up the catalytic converter and the shivering life forms in the cabin.

Another somewhat related observation: after a cold start, the system of course runs the ICE to warm it up, but it seems to prefer using the battery for propulsion the first couple of minutes. Trying not to put too much load on the ICE when it's cold perhaps?