1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius Gas Engine ICE won't run

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by woowoo1972, Jun 22, 2017.

1. woowoo1972

woowoo1972 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I just recently bought this 2004 Prius that was parked in garage for 1 1/2 after owner was told by dealer that it needed a new hybrid battery. I bought car under the impression that was all that was wrong with it. I purchased new 12 volt battery and tested the hybrid battery and it had 6 bad cells. So i found a recently replaced battery module at a wrecking yard. Installed it and was able to get car to go into ready mode, could move car around but heres the problem. After car goes into ready mode, it cranks the ICE over but it never runs on its own. It acts like it is not getting fuel. If i shoot some starting fluid in throttle body, engine will hit and die. I never get it "run" of hit without starting fluid. So I did a fuel system test, it was not getting fuel to the injectors. Tried to energize the fuel pump, nothing. Figured I had a bad or frozen fuel pump from the car sitting all that time. Picked up the complete fuel tank out of the same car at wrecking yard that i purchased battery from. $50, good deal. I removed old tank and found that a mouse had chewed wires on harness on fuel tank. It did a number on it. So i went ahead and put my used fuel tank in. After install, energized fuel pump, yes, I had fuel, I could hear it and I had pressure to the fuel rail. ICE still would not start and continue running to charge the Hybrid battery. So I pulled the fuel rail off and the injectors, I found all kinds of crud and crap in rail and injectors. I cleaned rail and injectors thoroughly, flushed fuel line, fresh gas, all that. Still cannot got this thing to run the ICE. Any suggestions on where to go next? I guess i should test each injector and see if I'm getting and injector pulse to the injector with a NODE light. Anyone ever run into this. This is my first time working on a Prius, so it has been a real learning curve. Also of note, should i see bars on the hybrid battery meter level? I have none...

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should charge up the entire hv battery pack as it's probably out of balance.

But to start the car, you probably just need to lock in the orange interlock switch on the hv battery. The lever tilts up and you have to press it downward to lock it

3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If the engine is cranking, the hybrid battery is connected correctly. But you're discharging the hybrid battery and you'll need a "grid charger" for it. The state of charge is probably too low to register on the dash display.

So far your trouble-shooting with the fuel system has been admirable, better than I could have done. The throttle bodies on these cars often gunk up, so check that. Good luck with it.

4. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Traction battery definitely needs to be grid charged, not good to drain it too far under heavy load.

Clean the MAF sensor (check air filter) and throttle body and consider picking up the used injectors to swap out too.

Also check for codes if you haven't already.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Betting if the rail / fuel line was plugged up with crud and crap then those injectors (and each filter basket) are also plugged up.

You can do a cheap test on if the injectors are pulsing with something like this : Mechanic's Stethoscope