1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 prius hydrogen car need help to convert to cng

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by kenny raichert, Nov 29, 2012.

1. kenny raichert

kenny raichert New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a wonderful 5000 mile Prius converted to running hydrogen. Car was purchased and tank was removed. Its not cost effective to put in a hydrogen tank according to Cal state Los Angeles, and would like help to convert it to running CNG. It is difficult to see what Quantom did for the conversion, but I know that the computer should be reset, but need to find someone in Los Angeles or someone in the area who knows what to do and where to go, HELP , e mail to [email protected] or call me 323 445 0822

2. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmmm, this sounds interesting.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If it's the hydrogen Prius I've seen pictures of, you would probably value the cargo space a lot more than using hydrogen anyway(don't think it had any).

As an uniformed observer, the hydrogen injection system is likely good for CNG. More likely it exceeds what you need. CNG fuel tanks are available. The energy density by volume of natural gas 3 to 4 times that of hydrogen. The car might run on it without reprogramming.

Shops that do CNG conversions should also be easy to find. I'd give one of them a call. If no luck in the yellow pages, call up a fleet operator, privat or public, with conversions. They might give you some leads. However, being in California means Carb has likely made getting your CNG Prius certified for road use pricey.

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    All of the physical equipment should work fine, infact its over specked for cng. You may need a different fill. Programming needs to change as you need only 1/4 of the volume of methane as you do hydrogen for the same amount of air in a stoich mixture. 2O2 + CH4 -> CO2 + 2H2O for cng, instead of 2O2 + 4H2 -> 4H2O
    +1
    Yep, you likely need to go to a carb authorized shop to keep your zev legal.

5. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  6. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  7. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Did I read this wrong?

8. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    he was concerned about legal issues, these kits meet euro 4 and 5 anyway thats good enogh for me, however they are not available in the us, he brought up california, go figure, I'm from michigan, you can build your own car, just put taillights and blinkers thats all they require, thou its a cleaner fuel I'd think california would be all for it, and honestly this is so unheard of arround here I don't think theres even legislation about it, if I blow up they may consider it at that point I wont be too woried about it