1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 prius inverter coolant tank leak

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dorman68, May 26, 2009.

1. dorman68

dorman68 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hello everyone. I am posting on behalf of my sister inlaw, she own's a 2004 Prius with 155,000 miles on the odometer. Yesterday her coolant reserve (thermos)tank underneath started leaking coolant. Is this a common failure, is it under an emissions warranty. I called the local dealer and they quoted me a price of $1057.00 just for the part (oe # 16660-21011). Can this part be had cheaper somewhere else and can a well experienced D.I.Y perform this repair? Any insight and experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try asking another dealer (or more than one!) whether they will submit it to Toyota as a warranty repair; if not call Toyota directly. They may allow it. The inverter coolant pump is apparently a known weakness in the 2004 design.

3. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The inverter coolant pump, which I've replaced on mine, is not part of the thermos tank system. While you can certainly buy a tank second hand, they're still fairly pricey, their location is bad during accidents, though I would go that route if I had to. I changed my engine coolant this weekend , and was surprised how loose the coolant tap was, which is located underneath the thermos tank. You're sure the tank itself is leaking, curious exactly where? Just want to make sure it is not simply a loose hose clamp,loose tap, broken hose etc.

When changing my coolant, I had let the car sit about 12 hours, and cautiously opened the coolant tap, expecting really hot coolant. It was barely warm, certainly a let down. If it was my car with a broken thermos tank , I would simply try to by pass the thing, the hard part is rigging the electronics to it so it doesn't set off the engine service light. Understandably your sister doesn't think like me, (which is good) and will probably just want it fixed.
    I'll post my coolant change experience in the maintenance forum later. My car has 144,400 m.

4. priusowner1

priusowner1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that this is a part that toyota calls a "recovery tank"
    It is a dealer part. and they are asking 1057 brand new. I have found them online new and used for around 500. You have better chances online than you do at a local junk yard. But be careful when you are looking online. Mainly because some of the used ones, and you really have to ask questions before you buy, may or may not have small dents somewhere on the tank. And if the dent is significant enough, it could compromise the functionality of the tank since it is pressurized. Take a look at the picture.

Attached Files:

5. Prius is the BEST

Prius is the BEST New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i got one for sale for 420.00 email me at [email protected]

6. PriusinNicaragua

PriusinNicaragua New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am in need of a reserve tank. I am in Nicaragua.
    Unfornately I slowing crashed into a tree, the air bags did not launch. However the left headlight, LH fender, LH axle and bumper were destroyed.
    The reserve tank has its dents. How do I know If i can re use it ?
    Please help

my email: [email protected]

Thanks

7. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree with northwitchita saying he would by-pass it. That is what I would do as well. h

8. PriusinNicaragua

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    By pass it , HOW ?

9. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There must be a line into the tank and one out of the tank. Remove them and connect together. I would try and repair the tank if possible first and make sure its not the lines leaking first before by-passing the thermos. By removing this part, it may effect the FE some what.H

10. PriusinNicaragua

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dear H.

May I send you a foto of my crashed prius and tank for your evaluatoin ?

11. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good candidate for a by-pass<grin> H

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you live in a region that does inspections, you can't by-pass the tank, as it will turn on the "check engine light". If that light is on, you will not be allowed to drive the car until the "problem" causing the light is fixed. There is some logic in there that watches the coolant temp. and if it doesn't change when it should it sets the DTC that turns on the light.

During the repair, if you are doing it yourself, you can extend the "bumper" (the steel part under the cover) to protect the new tank. This is something the Insurance Investigators recommended to reduce repair cost of the GII Prius.

13. PriusinNicaragua

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is it true you need special sloves to disconnect the Battery ?

14. PriusinNicaragua

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    s it true you need special gloves to disconnect the Battery ?

15. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    NO, just don't span the total HV battery with your hands. Caution, read all threads on HV Battery if you are really serious about working on this area.:D

16. PriusinNicaragua

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am low in cash and very interested on how to by pass the Reserve Tank Inverter Coolant or where to buy one at a low price. The Toyota here in Nicaragua is doing the manuel work on my Prius however they do not have exprience working on a Prius.

I would greatly appreciate any comments.
    What are the pros and cons of by passing the Reserve Tank Inverter Coolant.

17. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The tank has no leaks but has dents.
    Dents are not a problem, does it produce related codes?
    The reserve coolant tank system is very rare for cars, I don't think it adds much value, it does help speed up engine warmup . I don't have knowledge in removing it and not have the service engine light appear. Someone will probably figure this out. Replacement tanks if needed are around $ 250 + on Ebay.

You comment about the accident 'LH axle and bumper were destroyed.' I would be concerned the shop is proficient in repairing this, sounds pretty significant.

18. PriusinNicaragua

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, I got a new tank. 800usd @ West Kendall Toyota