1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius iTech - Battery when car unused for 4 weeks?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MarkinMelbourne, Oct 12, 2017.

1. MarkinMelbourne

MarkinMelbourne New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    We're heading away for a few weeks (4), and wondered if anyone has experience of leaving a Prius unused?|

Someone suggested take the clip off the negative pole of the small battery - but then you cant get in and out of the car (locking), and will lose some computer memory data one supposes.

One person said - no problem.

Appreciate relevant feedback and suggestions. Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    you can put a smart charger on the charge point under the hood. there's also an sks shut off switch under the steering wheel, if you have sks. another concern is the hybrid battery. as they age, they dislike not being used. 4 weeks probably isn't a big deal though.

3. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Use the key in the fob push the clip on the remote. Then pop the hood and open fuse box under the hood.
    There a red cover charge +it there- to bare Metal

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. MarkinMelbourne

MarkinMelbourne New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Thanks for that. The car will be at the airport. is smart charger something you can leave safely under the hood? does it need AC power connection?

5. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can either do it at the terminal in the fuse Box or plug one into the cigarette lighter

Or unbolt the red wire from the fuse box it like unbolting the ground
    But easier to get to
    I Use a piece of plastic to hold it up off the bold Not sure how long that wire is

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    4 weeks is pretty risky. I have a 2007 prius that I bought about 3-4 months ago. I don't use it, as I bought it merely because it was a fully loaded model and the price was impossible to pass up. I installed a brand new battery in it, and leave the smart key system turned on. I've had to recharge the battery twice due to it dying.

If you have a full size battery and jumper cables, or a jump pack, just put it in the car and use it when you get back if needed. or, you can get crazy and connect the full size battery to the prius battery before you leave, so you have the equivalent of 3 prius batteries connected to the car. That would last months.

#6 TMR-JWAP, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Why not just turn off the SKS button under the steering wheel to minimize unnecessary 12V drain?
    Why not just disconnect the 12v GROUND?
    Why not just put smart battery charger that is AGM compatible?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he's at the airport, so charging is out of the question.
    if you disconnect the 12v neg, how do you open the hatch?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in that case, i think turning the sks off and a jump pack would be your best bet. or they may have free jump service at the airport? but you would have to wait for them, and make sure they don't cross polarize the connections.

the big question is the health of the 12v to begin with. i leave mine every winter for 5-6 weeks without problem, but i know it's a healthy battery.