1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius Key Fob

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by zimblon33, Nov 21, 2017.

1. zimblon33

zimblon33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All, I am a first time Prius owner (2004).

I bought the car used knowing the lock/unlock functions of the FOB were not working and figured I'd look into afterwards. The FOB has the silver logo on it on the back, the actual key that detaches does unlock the doors manually. However the lock/unlock buttons on the FOB are not locking/unlocking remotely.

I did replace the battery with a new CR2032 and verified I'm getting a red blinking light on the FOB when I press lock or unlock. Pushing the FOB into the ignition slot does allow the Prius to start so it must be for this vehicle.

I'm seeing there are instructions for the 'chicken dance' method for reprogramming a FOB, but I'm only seeing that this is for new FOBS and using an existing FOB that works. Are there any tips on what I might be able to do myself to restore the remote functionality of the key FOB for my 2004 Prius?

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The silver logo implies this car has SKS (smart Key system).
    • Does the car unlock when you touch handle, and lock when you press the black button on the door handle.
    • Will it start without inserting the key?
    • Is the black toggle switch under the steering column (labelled Key) in the out position?

3. zimblon33

zimblon33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It does not unlock when I touch the handle, nor does it lock when I press the black button on the door handle.

It does not start without the fob inserted into the slot.

Yes the black toggle switch under the steering column labelled key is in the out position. I tried it both ways, but there was no change.

4. zimblon33

zimblon33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an appointment with a Toyota dealer next week, from what I understand they said it would be $50 to reprogram the existing fob, or it's $190 for a new one for my Prius. I was kind of hoping there might be something I could do on my own to fix the issue, wondering if anyone might have any additional tips for me?

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $50? My dealer won't touch my car for less than $120

6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If that's the only fob for the car, you'll need a seed reset to get the lock/unlock/proximity functions working. When you get the real price from the dealer, consider doing without or finding a cheaper locksmith. Pop a Lock locksmiths generally know how to handle it, although we've had at least one report of one who couldn't.

Since you already need the seed reset, I suggest having a locksmith handle the used fob. Then purchase a new fob from an online dealer and program it yourself with a chicken dance.

7. zimblon33

zimblon33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I called the dealer I purchased this from (not an official Toyota dealer, more of a lot) and they 'had a guy' who did their key work who just programmed a new one for me using the existing fob I had. Everything is working great now. The total cost was $192.00 USD. I'm guessing I might have been able to do this myself using the online instructions and a new fob, but this worked just fine for me. The new fob comes with a key cut for the car itself too to unlock the drivers door, so I'm pretty satisfied.

Well not completely satisfied since I had to pay $192, but glad I can lock/unlock without using the ridiculous tiny key! :)

Thanks for the input you guys.