1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius Misfiring & Running Very Rough

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bikeking19, Jun 30, 2018.

1. bikeking19

bikeking19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2004 Prius with 168k on it, and today it seemed to go from bad to worse.
    I live in Las Vegas and was out of the city about 50 miles in 100-degree weather. On the way back it started running rough, very poor acceleration, especially when going uphill. I stopped and checked everything, the coolant was low so I topped that off, oil and all the other fluids appeared fine with no apparent leaks. Upon getting back to the parking garage I had the car idling, the ICE then kicked on and white smoke came from the exhaust pipe. I was worried about it as it continued to run very rough so I decided to let it cool down for a couple of hours and try again. I came back, again checking on all the fluids and they all seemed to be ok. I turned on the car and it was idling extremely rough and shaking, I attempted to pull around just in the parking lot but even that proved to be a chore with the car lurching and seeming like it wanted to die. It was running so rough I decided to not risk anything more and left it there upon pulling the codes from my OBT scanner which I have hopefully uploaded in this. Any ideas on places to start? I'm an airplane mechanic and avionics tech and very mechanically/electrically inclined, but would like to try and get this fixed without breaking the bank. Any and all help is much-appreciated[​IMG] cheers.

[​IMG] https://imgur.com/a/WfYKHz0

Attached Files:

#1 bikeking19, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First guess would be one (usually only one) of the coil packs ontop of the spark plugs have given out.

3. bikeking19

bikeking19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Upon looking at some other threads, this seems like a very good start especially when considering I just had my car washed yesterday. Didn't even think of that as relevant until now.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You just topped off the coolant reservoir correct? You should check the actual radiator when the car is cool. See if that's low.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Both of these are possible signs of a head gasket failure when coolant leaks into the combustion chamber. Electrical misfires typically throw a code/CEL.

ITBland likes this.
  6. bikeking19

bikeking19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It was.
    I am on my way back to the car to check the ignition coils, coolant, oil, and plugs to hopefully narrow it down.

7. bikeking19

bikeking19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So just got to the car. Checked coolant and top of oil cap, no bubbles, no white goo so that's something. Pulled the ignition coils and examined throttle body. Cylinders 2 and 3 were very dirty, fouled with a lot of black crud. 1 and 4 perfectly clean. So is replacing the plugs and valve cover gasket and cleaning everything off the next step? Or should something else be examined first. 20180630_155029_HDR.jpeg 20180630_155013_HDR.jpeg 20180630_155008_HDR.jpeg 20180630_155001_HDR.jpeg

LG-LS777 ?

JC91006 likes this.
  8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The o-rings that are part of the valve cover gasket set look to be blown on those two cylinders so all will need to replaced as a set along with the larger valve cover gasket.

I'd try cleaning the COP's exterior by wiping down with a good degreaser and the interior of the COP's with some electrical contact cleaner, let air dry. While the old plugs are still in, clean the spark plug holes with degreaser, wiped out as best as possible, and spray with compressed air very well. Then replace with new plugs and cross your fingers that solves the rough running and keep a close eye on the coolant level. If it keeps going down......

GOOD LUCK!

9. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    SFO and bikeking19 like this.
  10. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    JC91006 and bikeking19 like this.
  11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Start with this

1. New plugs since they're cheap (you can skip this for now if you check them and they're still good)
    2. 2 coils
    3. Valve cover gasket

And if you can hope for a cool day in Vegas to do this repair

#11 JC91006, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Raytheeagle, bikeking19 and padroo like this.
  12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. NGK or Denso original equipment iridium plugs
    4. PCV valve

13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Very good idea Pat on the PCV. (y)

He's inferring that a poorly performing PCV valve can allow build up of internal engine pressure which can cause the oil seals to fail. Always a good maintenance item to check. I will now be checking both the older Prius and Suzuki this holiday week(end).

14. bikeking19

bikeking19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks a lot for the responses! OK ordered everything today and it should be here within a couple of days. Valve cover gasket with the O rings for the ignition coils, four new spark plugs, four new ignition coils, in addition to the degreaser and electronic cleaner to get the gunk out. Will update once parts arrive and repairs commence, fingers crossed.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hope it goes good for you.

16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Get a flashlight and look at the front of the engine where the fan belt is and look for red dried flecks which means the engine water pump is leaking and bad.
    Did you check the coolant level by taking the black plastic cover off the rad and open the cap to the rad itself and not the overflow tank.

Have you ever overheated the car enough that either the check engine light came on or the red triangle came on the dash?

17. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I never liked using just the coolant recovery tank for checking coolant levels.

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The g2 is bazare the rad can be half empty and the white recovery bottle is full.
    Owned my car for 11 years the recovery bottle level has never moved. I can imagine how many
    Owners have been burned by this.

I leave the hold down screws off the black plastic rad cover the hood keeps it on so it’s quick to take it off and check the rad and clean the condenser. I watch the oil and ice coolant pretty closely as I’m approaching 120000 miles so sooner or later going to need an ice pump.

Very happy to report since moving to Redline 5-30 oilwhich at operating temp has the same viscosity as 40 weight has fixed my slight oil loss between 5k changes.

19. bikeking19

bikeking19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah I did check the actual coolant not simply the white overflow tank, both of them were low. I'm waiting on the parts right now, apparently it's a late afternoon delivery which isnt ideal so possibly might have to wait until tomorrow morning depending on the amount of light I have. Here's a few more pics of the plugs, I unplugged the fuel injectors and in cylinders 2 and 3 those appeared to have some gas in them. 20180703_162347_HDR.jpeg 20180703_162214_HDR.jpeg

LG-LS777 ?

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow worst looking set of plugs I have ever seen on this forum. Original plugs.

Raytheeagle likes this.