1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 prius new batterys but, wont run

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jordan85, May 30, 2018.

1. jordan85

jordan85 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2004 prius, i installed a new doorman hybrid battery and a new 12v battery but now have the triangle of death and will not start. I have checked all fuses and relays and it has a car emblem with a ! mark in it and also a battery image that says main on it. What can i do to fix this it ran before i installed the new batterys.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Presumably, tackling a job of this nature, you have a Prius capable code reader? What codes are you getting?
    • Are you aware you need to push the power button twice after disconnect either of the batteries to get the car to start?
    • Did you clear any codes before attempting to start?
    • Have you ensured the safety interlock is correctly installed, particularly step 3?
    Prius Saftey Interlock.jpg

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just a quick correction. A Dorman battery is not new. It is full of USED cells. With a 12 month warranty.

The picture dolj attached is a good one.
    It is a common mistake people make.

Also, as part of the Dorman install you are REQUIRED to clean the hybrid fan. Can you confirm that you plugged back in the fan connectors?

Now that you have a used battery in your car you may want to purchase some diagnostic tools so you can keep an eye on hybrid battery data etc. Block voltage, battery temp, etc

Cost you less than$75
    Android phone/tablet
    Elm 327 Bluetooth OBDII reader
    Torque Pro app

You can use the tools to also read and clear error codes.

#3 ericbecky, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018