1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius, no sound from stereo

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by efusco, Oct 19, 2011.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, I need to probably figure that out...I'll probably hang onto the XM unit until it completely bites the dust, not worth the expense since I'm getting my Tesla in a few months.

2. Kristy

Kristy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi Dr. Fusco, what eventually did you do? My 2001 Prius has been doing the EXACT same things. Volume not working though everything else seems fine, started working 20 minutes into the drive, then cut out again.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Whatever he did may not help. The 01-03 Prius are of a different generation than the 04-09 Prius and VERY different on the inside and out.

4. Kristy

Kristy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks. Bummer, this of course happens the night someone is test-driving it because we're trying to sell it before our move to Brazil. The volume won't work at all, but it looks like it's playing a cassette/ipod hookup and searching for radio channels. And then at one point 20 minutes into the drive the radio blared loudly, and then stopped again.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, I don't think I'll be much help. In my case it was a shorting cable to my XM radio unit. Simply moving it resolved the problem. No idea what the cause might be in an '01. Sorry.

6. Dean Novosielski

Dean Novosielski New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is an old post, but it's 2013 and this just happened to my 05' Prius. Just got caught in a crazy storm and had to drive through some gushing water. I'm currently experiencing the exact same symptoms that your radio was exhibiting (display appears normal, but no sound). I'm guessing when things dry out a little bit, my sound will also return...glad to hear yours came back, so I'm optimistic. Maybe your car got drenched while you were away?

--Dean

7. Dean Novosielski

Dean Novosielski New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI...it's August, so I'm guessing this is purely a moisture issue and doesn't have to do with the temp.

8. Eddie Colbeth

Eddie Colbeth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    efusco,
    I can't thank you enough for all the trouble you went through and your documentation of your issue. I'm on my third day with my "new" car and the radio was dead. Exactly the same as yours.

I found the XM radio, a pioneer, and it was in a puddle where yours was. Going to take it apart and hit it with a blow dryer. The good news is with the unit out, all is well with the JBL. So happy!

You have my eternal gratitude!

#48 Eddie Colbeth, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
  9. Eddie Colbeth

Eddie Colbeth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fixed! Temp solution, zip lock bag. Later I will find the leak.

The problem started last night while I was driving through a massive thunderstorm. I thought maybe it was the lightning affecting satellite reception. :)

10. whatever

whatever Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I could use some answers to , 2010 prius thought id listen to a cd today all of a sudden nothing channel sel. vol. all show like they were working . that 30amp fuse for the amp under the hood don't take it out if car is on! the computer might have a melt down . but after have a friend clear all the code for me the radio works again ,and I still don't know why it stopped to begin with can some one help ,

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The stereo for the '10 Prius and all of Gen 3 (model year 2010 to current) is NOTHING like the stereo in Gen 2 Priuses (04-09). This isn't the right thread nor area to post your stereo issues.

valde3 likes this.