1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius P0A72 Code

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TwoPriusInTenn, Oct 20, 2017.

1. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My reading is there is no mention of disconnecting the 12 V and it would make more sense to having the 12 V in place. On the high voltage side, at step (b) it clearly says to remove the Service Plug Grip* (big orange plug on HV battery). At this point, it cautions against making the car READY in this state. After 5 mins, having done this, there should be no HV at the inverter. Use your DMM to confirm this. At step (f) it clearly says to put the car in IG-ON (two presses of the power button with foot OFF the brake).

*When reinstalling the Service Plug Grip (step (m)), remember to push the handle firmly down so it locks with a click after you have rotated the handle up to the vertical from the horizontal position. This youtube video shows the removal and reinstallation of the Service Plug Grip:

Prius 2nd Gen 2003-2009 High Voltage Service Plug Removal

Hope that helps.

#21 dolj, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    m.wynn likes this.
  2. TwoPriusInTenn

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I apologize. I didn't not have the portion of the manual in front of me while posting. Going from memory. Thank you for clarifying this. I will try tomorrow after my gloves arrive. I so appreciate your help! Thanks again!

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It always pays to read the linked info, too.

In step (b) it links to page 21–116, which is the sub-procedure that covers the Service Plug Grip removal and re-installation. In this procedure, the step prior to actually removing the Service Plug Grip, it advises to disconnect the 12 V negative.

I have attached the pages 21-116 ff so you have this additional info.

Attached Files:

4. TwoPriusInTenn

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think I have everything ready to go to do the testing. The HV Control ECU is inside the dash near the glove box. Correct?

GIVA, GIVB, GIWA, GIWB, GINV are the wiring color combinations withing each connector. Correct?

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe so. As far as the rest goes, you are probably moving past my level of knowledge.

Good luck with the testing.

6. TwoPriusInTenn

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Locator - Dash (8).jpg This looks correct. The HV ECU to the right, just inside the glove box.

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's so many cheap Gen2 inverters for sale because we buy them only to realize it wasn't the problem after all. The codes were pointing at the wrong source of the problem... I got one that's been collecting dust on my parts rack for 3 years for this reason. Never been able to find anyone who really needs to replace one.

Todd Wallace likes this.
  8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is that why you're updating a thread from 4-1/2 years ago? ;)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. Todd Wallace

Todd Wallace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Could you please share the specific situation you are referring to and the solution you found? Did it have anything to do with a P0A72 code?