1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 prius, p0a80 p3190, red triangle, sell with or without another hv batt?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by d toad, Feb 18, 2019.

1. d toad

d toad New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm on the fence about this.
    Have a prius 2004 sitting that I need to sell somehow.
    Background:
    -just over 200k miles
    -single owner
    -replaced hv batt ~5 yrs ago with a 4-year-warranty greentechauto 'all new cells' batt for $2400+ including labor plus tax
    -i haven't checked the hv batt fan, odds are it was never checked or cleaned. : (
    - north texas summers are brutally hot especially this summer.
    Cronology of symptoms:
    1. Driving around, it gives red triangle of death, but no codes at all (obd2 bluetooth). Did 30second 12v batt disconnect, reconnect, triangle gone, still no codes, drives ok, so drive home
    2. S o i finally do swap the combination meter that was getting flaky last few months, with brand new oem programmed one. Symptoms = combo meter would stop displaying, but 30s 12v batt disconnect ,and it would reset and show fine again. But soon enough that would get worse so needed to get it done.
    3. Next day driving , it dies again, red triangle, this time p0a80 p3190 are both thrown. Towed back to house. Then if cleared codes ,It would only start and produce power for 10 seconds, then rethrow codes with the red triangle. Dr Prius app shows same codes and shows 3 or 4 modules going red with low resistances. Looks like hv batt failure to me, any chance of anything else?

Do I try to sell as-is or put in a hv battery? Ebay had one $600 'reconditioned 1 yr warranty', good option? If it ran it seems would be worth 3k-3.8k or so $. Else what could i sell it for , $1.5-2k max? Harder to sell since buyer wouldn't see it driving. But who likes dumping more $ into a car they have to sell for questionable $.

Maybe i can post the dr prius screenshots with mobile phone

Thanks for all advice people.

Attached Files:

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Skibob, d toad and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't think your original problem was the hybrid battery. The P3190 (poor engine performance) and the "runs for 10 sec and shuts off" sounds to me more like the engine has an issue (fails to start), the hybrid battery was trying to start it (probably several times) and depleted itself. Disconnect the 12v and the ECU resets itself, also causing it to show the HV battery at default SOC value, which allows it to try to start again, even tho battery is depleted, which depletes it even more, until now you have modules so low that the battery is extremely depleted. This is evidenced by ALL the module voltages, not just the lowest ones. They are all showing effectively depleted.

This is why many reputable 'battery repair' companies have stipulations in their warranties about engine issues. An engine that fails to start will deplete a HV battery when an owner tries over and over to start it without solving the engine issue first. If that battery truly had "NEW" modules, it should be good for 10 years, not 4.

Any module, regardless of how new, will deplete if it can't be recharged by a running engine.

#3 TMR-JWAP, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    SFO and d toad like this.
  4. d toad

d toad New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TMR-jWAp : as for 'engine fails to start', does that apply to the engine actually running the ten seconds and then stopping? wouldn't that be where you never actually hear the engine running , or perhaps turning over but not actually running? It did make the same noise of running that it always has in the past...

And if it is failing to 'start' whatever that means, any tips on diagnosis? or just look through forums on p3190?

thanks

5. d toad

d toad New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Selling it because I was given another car with far fewer miles and would rather use and maintain it than the prius... sad to see it go...

6. d toad

d toad New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P3190 loss of power, and red triangle | PriusChat
    Intersting.
    come to think of it the 2 incidents (1 = redtriangle , no codes, 30s reset fixed, and 2 = 10second engine runs then stops with redtri + the 2 codes) came right after a oil change + enginefilter + cabinfilter. I havent checked to see if the oil was over full or if throttle body has something interfering (shouldn't because thats a pretty new throttle body within 2 ish years) and need check mass air flow sensor.

7. d toad

d toad New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update - today the oil dipstick (engine cold) showed a full inch above the max line. So just now I pumped out maybe .7qt oil and multiple checked dipstick: just under the max line now. Throttle body showing a bit of black stuff on the flipper's edge area on one side - ouch... looking into how to clean with the TB cleaner spray. Pretty sure i can just spray it in there and swap with a toothbrush or so. The TB is new because the lube place couple years ago said it needed it (thrown code, took it in... sigh - probably got ripped off) along with new mass airflow sensor. I have the mini vci obd2-usb cable, it's supposedly the later more expensive version from a China seller but I haven't verified. Need to get the software and a virtual machine going.

Any other ideas on procedure todos before I try to start the car hoping the hv batt has one last attempt in her before she needs actual charging which is gonna be more $ down the drain in a charger?? ugh...

#7 d toad, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In case you missed something, look over the workups one more time before attempting a restart if you're on a limited HV battery charge :

DTC P0A80 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8CPDF%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/Prius%20Service%20Manuals%202004/%E4%BF%AE%E7%90%86%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8C/04pruisr/05/20zmw/cip0a80.pdf

DTC P3190 / P3191 / P3193 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8CPDF%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/Prius%20Service%20Manuals%202004/%E4%BF%AE%E7%90%86%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8C/04pruisr/05/2054m/cip3190a.pdf

If you're openly spraying TB cleaner or feel that the MAF sensor might be contaminated (seems worthy of a cleaning after 2yrs), find some MAF cleaner, after cleaning the MAF, disconnect the 12v to make the ECU relearn before attempting another restart.

Skibob and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps take the plugs out and clean them also? If I thought I only had one shot to start the car I would do everything I could to help it along.

10. d toad

d toad New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Yeah got some carb cleaner and MAF specific cleaner at autozone. Haven't used yet. It's sounding like toothbrush or q-swab to carefuly clean TB, not spray a bunch inside it, and tape off the MAF sensor to protect it. Have kept the 12v batt indoors these past couple of cold months. Yeah i should have posted on here a long time ago... SMH. It sounds like even the 12v battery is difficult to charge, I only have one of those older trickle chargers for normal batteries, not sure would help the 12v. 12v right now reads 12.3V, could put in and use a car jumping unit in case it is weak.

SKibob : by plugs do you mean corrosion on connecting bolts (or terminal whichever it is) of each module inside hv batt?

If it doesn't start I'm tempted to buy a batt reconditioner tool...

SFO likes this.
  11. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry about that. I ment the spark plugs. They might have oil on them from the oil level problem. It’s free to do so why not.

12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No need to tape off the MAF. When servicing the TB/butterfly you will need to remove the air box (which houses the MAF sensor), just disconnect the MAF cable from the MAF and lift the air box assembly out of the way.

I found the toothbrush made for quick work.

Be sure to clean the MAF and reconnect the 12v when finished.

Stick that 12v on your trickle charger.

Raytheeagle and Skibob like this.
  13. d toad

d toad New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius runs! I took off air filter housing top and bottom, clean throttle body somewhat with some carpet cleaner and toothbrush, it send me clean but there still some of those carb remaining , cleaned MAF with MAF cleaner, put it all back together, gaskets in hoses seem tight I doubt any leak, plug-in battery and it turned on, idle Rough 4 maybe 5 or 7 seconds, then dr. Prius app showing state is 50% charge, a far cry from when it's thought it was very low charge before. so slowly driving down the street I thought it was a little bit slightly Rough, have not cleaned or checked spark plugs yet so I might do that and still more thorough cleaning of throttle body . The intake of the beneath the throttle body seems oily but not a puddle of oil. Also have not used injector cleaner in fuel.

Attached pic of the oil I took out with a cheap orange siphon pump. Afterwards was just barely below Max oil mark. That's a 96oz bottle label shows and ruler so people know precisely how much extra oil there was .

Attached Files:

#13 d toad, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Skibob and SFO like this.