1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius Pkg #9 for sale - just got it a week ago

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by pocohonta, Oct 3, 2004.

1. pocohonta

pocohonta New Member

FOR SALE: Black 2004 Prius with Package 9. odometer reads 40 miles, just got it brand new a week ago, and never left my garage since. $29,100. This includes CA license plate registration for 12 months. I'm located in Redondo Beach, CA. I can be reached at (626) 864-5851. or [email protected] George or Amy.
    Also on autotrader.com web site:

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/results...TEXT&search_typ e=used&make=TOYOTA&model=PRIUS&distance=10&address=90277&advanced=n&max_price=30 000&min_price=28000&cc=1&end_year=2005&start_year=1984&advcd_on=n

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

This is the chance to prove the theory that you can buy a Prius and resell it shortly thereafter and make a profit.

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Or hopefully prove that greedy people get what they deserve - nothing. Well, he'll have the Prius, if not the 'profit'. I wonder, does CA get to charge tax on the buyer of this used vehicle as well as the tax Pocohonta already paid? Pocohonta gets the $2K tax deduction as well. If anyone buys it, I hope they realize they DON'T get it. The CA reg is worthless as the new buyer will have to re-register it in their name.

4. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

Is this type of ad allowed from a non-sponsor? [Edit: it is. One car per thread. Sorry.]

I thought first-time pocohonta would at least have offered the sad story that led to the heart-wrenching decision to put the precious on the open (irrational) market.

You know, something like "I ordered the car thinking my spouse would be home from overseas, but then the stop-loss order will keep her driving a Hummer for another year or more." Or something fictional.

I would welcome the new poster if I thought he/she would remain in the Prius community.

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is an individual selling the car, so it's allowed. As long as they are not a dealer or selling multiple items, they fall as a private seller.

6. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I don't think either the buyer or the seller get the tax deduction in this case.

7. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

The seller gets the tax deduction as the original owner. A case could be made that they didn't own the car long enough, but for now we don't know how long that is. Clearly the buyer of a used Prius is not entitled to the tax deduction.

The practice in most states is that the seller pays the sales tax to the state, so it is helpful for them to remember to collect it from the buyer. Often the buyer must show proof of sales tax (or use tax) paid, in order to register the car in that state.

8. rflagg

rflagg Member

If I win the $200 million + powerball in DC this weekend, expect my phone call. :)

-m.

9. JHartman

JHartman New Member

I thought I remembered something from one of the yahoo groups way back when about the tax deduction is only good if you keep the car for 2 years. If you don't you owe the government.

I agree that at least we deserved a sob story or else someone is out to make some bucks.

rflagg - If you win the powerball at least buy a new one from a dealer!

10. rflagg

rflagg Member

JHartman -

Yeah, maybe you're right. Ok, I'll buy a black #6 2005 and compare the different NAV versions and see if anything else is different to mine. :)

-m.

11. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes. The original buyer paid the "Sales" tax. The second buyer will have to pay a "Use" tax, which is levied the exact same rate as the "Sales" tax.

12. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sounds like CA would make out big time if this car sells!

In VT, the seller does NOT collect tax from the buyer ( private sales). The buyer pays it when they register the car. If you buy a new car and sell an old one, the price of the car sold is deducted from the price paid for the new car, the seller pays tax on the difference.

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And here I was expecting to see something along the lines of divorce, death in the family, medical emergency. Of course, by this time, if such a story arose, it would be received - by me anyway - as reactionary. It's unfortunate that someone, somewhere, will probably end up purchasing this vehicle and reinforcing this behavior.

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It works exactly the same way in California. The first buyer paid the sales tax through the dealership. The next buyer pays the use tax when he or she registers the car at the DMV. However, there is no credit for the original sales tax paid by the profiteer.

15. toolbox

toolbox New Member

california cars get 150k on battery and hybrid parts...not sure if the car has to stay in california though : (

16. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The "pimary operating location" must be in CA. I.e., if your first 100k miles was in CA, but then you move to OR and it fails 2k miles later, you may or may not still get the warranty.

But if you live in CA, but were taking a trip to OR or AZ and it fails, you'd be under warranty for certain.

I'm kinda bummed by moving to AZ, I'm going to lose my extra warranty unless AZ adopts CA emissions laws (ha!).

17. JHartman

JHartman New Member

CA will miss you Rick, but I'm sure there are alot of advantages in AZ. Lower housing prices for one! Best wishes to you and your family.

18. Denise

Denise New Member

Good Luck selling your Prius - No judgement from me as to why. In fact, it is none of my business. May you get all that a willing buyer is willing to pay...... America, not Sweden or Russia

19. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Wow. Considering one can get onto my waiting list (which is way better moving these days!) and buy a 2005 with package 6 (that equates to his package 9 for 2004) and Z1 package and the EF for $26,807.... this seems like a deal ONLY for someone absolutely crazy about having a black 2004 car right this minute for any reason.

I do understand the seller wanting to possibly break even, because he paid sales tax and license... and if he was on a wait list and had a $300 Toyota savings certificate, and paid MSRP for the car, he'd have paid about 26K for the car, plus tax and title. I wonder if he paid $29,100 out the door and just wants to break even, and may not realize that a new buyer has to also pay sales tax, but just transfer the license ($15 bucks) to themselves.

Dianne

20. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    hmm just curious... don't see any follow-up whether it was sold.. just wondering how long it took. :mrgreen: and i agree with dianne :wink: