1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius purchase, had started, now no start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by B4CDriver, Sep 10, 2017.

1. B4CDriver

B4CDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I purchased this Prius about 2 months ago from auction, it was a municipal vehicle. I messed with it, and now I have a no start. Here we go. After the purchase, I charged the 12v battery, no start. The fusible link assembly in the underhood fusebox was missing. I replaced it. I did manage to get it started at a point and it ran. I was able to start it several times, but not every time. Eventually it would not start at all. I replaced the 12V battery with a brand new massive group 51 12V battery so I KNOW I have enough juice. After installing it still no start. Upon inserting the key, I press the start button, and I only have the check engine light, and I think ABS light go on in the dash, as well as the center monitor. Nothing else. I didn't hear any clicking from the hybrid relays. I even pulled the cover off the hybrid pack and tested all the hybrid relays. All checks out ok. I pulled out the fusible link, no visible issues. All fuses and relays appear good. I'm leaning towards a 12V issue, but don't know where to look. Any ideas? I searched, found no solid info and I'm out of ideas.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Quick simple question...is your foot firmly on the brake pedal when pressing the start button? When pressing the brake pedal, do the brake lights turn on? If either answer is no, then the car is probably only going to aux mode.

3. B4CDriver

B4CDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Step on the brake, the brake lights go on, and I hear the lovely moaning/grinding noise from the pump. The headlights work, the power windows work. Also, the 2 lights on the dash are Check Engine, and the airbag lights.

4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    IF.....you did not charge the new battery before installing it, you KNOW no such thing.

5. B4CDriver

B4CDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I charged it. I also made sure there was more than 12 volts at the underhood fuse box, and I checked all the underhood fuses for 12v on both sides of the fuse.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need mini vci to read the codes.

7. B4CDriver

B4CDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I used a scangage 2, no codes found

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You were able to start it after replacing the fusible link, did your drive it at all? How long did the engine run?

valde3 likes this.
  9. B4CDriver

B4CDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I had it running for about a half hour in the driveway. It will not lock into park, and the transmission seems screwed (gear related clunk and bang). I did have it go in and out of hybrid mode. She's a real gem!

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not sure what you're stating in this statement. What does "it will not lock into park" mean? When you first start it, it's in park.

Also "transmission seems screwed, clunk and bang". There are no gears in this transaxle, what clunk did you hear? Did it ever go into a Reverse or Drive?

And "I did have it go in and out of hybrid mode", does that mean you let it idle in Ready mode?

How many times were you able to actually start it? (this is very important that you know)

11. B4CDriver

B4CDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    7 or 8 times. Intermittent though. It would start, not start, then start again. Sometimes, during a no start, the dash would fully light up, I just wouldn't get the "ready" display. That hasn't happened in a while.

12. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Have you checked all connections to make sure they are snug? Any corrosion on any connections?

Usually chasing an intermittent electrical issue may be caused by a loose connection.

Start at the 12v and go from there.

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I'm not sure all the problems this car has, but since you changed the battery, you would need to have changed the small j termianls to regular battery terminals. Did you change them? Are you sure there's a good connection?

But besides the battery problem, you seem to have problems going into drive....like axle related problems. I don't think the clunking is from the Transaxle.

To continue trouble shooting, you would need to get a code reader, then you can read the codes. One popular one is a MINI VCI cable that runs using a laptop computer. That can be purchased on Amazon for about $25.00. Without the code reader, you can't really continue trying to guess at this car.

14. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What year and many miles of this purchase?

You mentioned messing with it. Did it start before you messed with it?

What is the HV state of charge on the MFD telling you?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2004 purchased at auction. miles not reported yet.

16. Chris Franks

Chris Franks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had this on my 2004 after 250K miles and a guy in CA modified the odometer PC board to fix it. It also happened on my 2007 Prius at 190K miles, so I put in a used odometer assembly from LKQ parts for $80 and that fixed it. Toyota admitted that they had a problem but if you did not get it fixed in 9 years you are s.o.l.

17. Chris Franks

Chris Franks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had this on my 2004 after 250K miles and a guy in CA modified the odometer PC board to fix it. It also happened on my 2007 Prius at 190K miles, so I put in a used odometer assembly from LKQ parts for $80 and that fixed it. Toyota admitted that they had a problem but if you did not get it fixed in 9 years you are s.o.l.

18. PriusWise

PriusWise New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are definitely gears in the transaxle. Watch YouTube for Prius transmission.

Dan, 3rd gen from the sun

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like the transmission is blown. But be aware if you keep "messing" with it it will take its toll on the hybrid battery also and eventually discharge it.
    If you have the hybrid battery cover off and seem competent to be in there measure the DC volts across the battery side of the relay and see what the charge level on the hybrid battery is. I would expect to see around 200 volts dc unless its getting really low. Really low hybrid battery no mg2 no start.

In the meantime I think you have a blown trans.

20. B4CDriver

B4CDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I've been working the past few days. Hoping to look at it again Friday to try and figure this out

Raytheeagle likes this.