1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius Reliability & Dependability???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Preston Shobe, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Preston Shobe

Preston Shobe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey Guys! I'm new here to the forum hoping for some great insight! I recently purchased an SUV for the wife and am faced with a decision of selling her 2004 Prius, or my 2008 Pontiac G6, and I will drive to work whatever is left. I need un-biased opinions please!! A few things to know about each car:

*This is just a to and from work car. I need to make a financially responsible decision.

Prius
    -150,000 miles but runs perfect!
    -It's a package 6 or 7..has many awesome options that work great!
    Pros to keeping the Prius
    -Gets much better mpg
    -Has many nice options (ie. Navigation, JBL sound etc)
    Cons to keeping Prius
    -The risk of the dreaded $3500 battery failure (the car is only worth $5-6k!)

G6
    -100,000 miles, and runs wonderfully as well! 2.4l GM motor
    -Not many options, and has a salvage title
    Pros to keeping the G6
    -No risk of $3500 hybrid battery failure ever
    -50,000 less miles
    Cons to selling the G6
    -Gets 25 mpg average, versus the Prius gettings around 40
    -Has salvage title so resale will be terrible.. and the salvage title doesn't bother me any!

According to the numbers, with the mileage I drive I will save $16.48 a week or $66 a month roughly. That's worth keeping the Prius imo but the G6 has more life in it and the dreaded battery failure on the Prius would make the Prius undoubtably cost more than the G6 in the end.

Should I get rid of the Prius now that it is at the 150k mile mark and potentially dodge a bullet? Or are the MAJORITY of you guys seeing 200+ thousand miles without failure?

Sorry for the long post but thank you for the input!

2. Preston Shobe

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    V

#2 Preston Shobe, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Prius - The HV battery can be replaced with a rebuilt (see Dorman) for about $2000 or a low mileage salvaged one (see Steve at Prius hybrids sales and service Scottsburg Indiana) if it fails. Mine lasted 195k miles and the ReInVolt (Dorman's predecessor) is working fine at 262k miles. Other expensive failures are also possible: Engine (a low mileage salvaged one is about $2000 installed see Steve again) or an inverter (again a salvaged one is reasonably priced at Steve's shop).

G6 - There are failures that can (and will) cost upwards of $2000 - $3000 to fix (Engine, Tranny) and at 100k miles the probabilities are increasing.

I would stick with the Prius.

JeffD

5. Preston Shobe

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks guys! I spoke with a few guys at work here (I work at a Research and Development company) and they are all saying stick with the Prius. I'm definately thinking the Prius is the way to go. Thanks!

littlehandegan likes this.
  6. littlehandegan

littlehandegan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dorman HV battery can be had for $1,300 or so + refundable core.

The G6 may not have that, but it does have a GM Transmission/Engine which could have trouble.

I would sell the G6, GM's can be great, but they quickly deteriorate after

7. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    227K miles with the original battery in my 05. Gen 2 longevity is aided by temperate climate, relatively flat terrain, and use. If your
    04 has been used in Ohio most of its life, you might get a few more years out of the HV battery.

An investment in a new or rebuilt battery might be worthwhile if you end up needing one. Heck, tires alone cost $400 a set these days (at least). I used to be able to buy a set of tires for $100. Cars have been proven to be much better built in this century. Rust on a car? What's up with that? say the millenials who've just started buying cars. Just because a car is 10 years old doesn't mean it's shot as long as it had been properly maintained.

As Peter Clemenza might have said if you were to ask for his advice: " Leave the G6, take the Prius".