1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 PRIUS sudden P3000 after break job????

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by msbris, Aug 27, 2016.

1. msbris

msbris New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took my beloved prius into a mechanic for breaks, new tires and an alignment. The car has 176,000 miles, so I wasn't surprised when they told me it needed rotors and sway bar work as well. I specifically called and asked before driving the car in if they felt comfortable doing breaks on a Prius. They phoned that the car was ready,. Upon exiting ,,,,
    I started the car and, the dashboard lit up with about every warning light available. The mechanic and I drove the car up the street with a myriad of new mechanical problems. Upon stopping at a red light, the car swithches constantly from gas to power. The fan in the back seat is on high constantly, followed by acceleration so slow, we nearly got hit during the U turn back to the shop. How can I take a perfectly running car in for breaks and now be told I need a new battery, P3000 code?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need to have the mechanic pay for a toyota inspection and repair. that's not likely a bad battery code, but something to do with the ecu. or they ran the battery low by leaving the car on in neutral or some other stupid monkey mistake. what level bars does the battery indicator show?

they fowled something up, that's for sure, and if they can't make it right, they need to pay to have it made right. could be something as simply as an unplugged wire harness. apparently, they don't have a toyota specific code reader? you need the sub codes.

what do you mean, 'the car switches from gas to power'?

#2 bisco, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  3. msbris

msbris New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The gas motor stalling . I have owned the car from new. I should know more about acronyms like ECU but, this is the first trouble I have had with the car. I am familiar with the normal gas motor turning off at red lights and occasionally, coming back on during a long stop like, the morning drive through lane for coffee but, never cycling on/off repeatedly like this.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is always the possibility that the battery was getting weak, and they stressed it over the edge.

5. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I could not disagree more. The burden of cost of repair lies with the car owner, not the mechanic. For a mechanic to be liable for a repair he would have to be negligent and caused the damage. Nothing here shows that is the case.

Huh? The P3000 is a generic hybrid system trouble code. ECU's rarely fail. Then the OP followed up with.

It's really hard to argue with the battery fan on high constantly. Poor acceleration is consistent with a bad battery.

That's a good idea. There could or should be more codes. And look at live battery data while doing a charge and discharge test.

A Florida 2004 Prius battery with 176K miles is running on borrowed time.

Brad