1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius Taillight Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by darkgiant, Jun 20, 2015.

1. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey All,

My mother owns a 2004 Toyota Prius, we got the car couple of months ago, and noticed the brake light was out, on the drivers side. Little did we know that it was a hard thing to actually replace, and we didn't bother giving much care to it since we thought it was a regular $15 bulb you just pop onto the taillight.

It turns out, the top part of the brake light attached to the remainder of the tail light does not turn on, while the center and passenger side of the brake lights turn on. It is black colored/tinted, and my guess is this is an LED.

Any proper diagnostic steps to take before confirming the LED is actually dead? It is really hard to believe it just died out (none of the LED lights turn on).

Would love some pointers to resolve this, we don't drive the car often, but would love to solve the brake light issue ASAP.

Thanks!

#1 darkgiant, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can get an aftermarket taillight to replace it. Amazon has them for about$80 or less

3. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah okay :( I was hoping that maybe the wire somehow got disconnected or something along those lines, but I guess if it is a replacement, I might as well do it... there is a Prius scrap yard around me, I'll check it out tomorrow.

I also own a 2007 Prius, no issues with any of the lights, but is it the same deal when changing/replacing? It doesn't have that black tint on the top of the tail light.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The black tint is for 2004 and 2005 models.

I have a working one with a broken lens you can have, just bake your taillight and remove the lens. But only if you're into diy.

You would have to look up the info on baking the lens to remove, some have done it to modify the lights

5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    you might check the connector for corrosion before you replace the tail light

6. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is there an appropriate guide that exists that explains how to look for the corrosion on the LED part?

7. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    just pull the connector off and look at both the male and female pins. wouldn't hurt to smear a little di-electric grease on there to keep it from corroding in the future. although it really shouldn't be corroded unless there's been water in the car from the notorious roof seam leak, or leaving windows open. but I'd still want to check it before I started buying parts.

8. brucebee

brucebee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    my 04 had a couple issues with the taillites. I know i replaced a bulb an checked a couple connections, thankfully all has been good. Did not take long

9. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just wanted to follow up here - The car has only been used for minor errands, but this weekend, I finally had time to investigate the problem of this taillight: so I decided to take apart the tail light, and it was just a few connectors that were dirty, after cleaning it up, and putting it together, boom, the brake light works again!

10. Jayboogie007

Jayboogie007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What did you clean it up with