1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius trans covered in CA 10year/150k Warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Hunter1, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Hunter1

Hunter1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    getting confused here, I have a 2004 Prius with under 120k on it that the dealer is saying needs a new tranny for $5693. I live in California, I bought the car from the orginal owner in Arizona 1.5 years ago. According to Prius Transmission Problems | eHow.com

"Considerations

In 2004, the Prius transmission changed from the Toyota Hybrid System (THS) to the Hybrid Synergy Drive (HSD), which meant that the ECVT was made from lighter and more resilient materials to accommodate larger engine power. While the Prius transmission prior to 2004 would have experienced problems and severe wear and tear on the transmission belt in engines larger than 1.2 liters, the HSD enabled Toyota to increase engine size and power without an increased risk of Prius transmission problems.

Prevention/Solution

The hybrid-related components of the Toyota Prius are covered under warranty for eight years or 100,000 miles. The Prius transmission is included in the hybrid system in the HSD design, and Toyota asserts that most Prius vehicles require no service to the hybrid system over the life of the vehicle. Following a regular service and maintenance schedule should be sufficient to prevent Prius transmission problems in most vehicles.

Warning

Some dealerships may not consider the Prius transmission to be a part of the hybrid system in models prior to 2004, when all the hybrid components were integrated into the transmission. Make sure that your local dealership has mechanics who are experienced diagnosing and fixing problems in hybrid vehicles before taking your Prius in for service. "

According to the strict CA emission standards that are adopted by 13 other states including AZ, Hybrid warranty is put to 10 years or 150,000 miles which ever comes first.

There's all this talk on Priuschat.com that it's urban myth to ever have to make a 4 figure repair to the hybrid system during the life of the car. My Prius has under 120k, wasn't used as a taxi, purchased from orginal owner, there should be no reason for this insane repair bill!

So my question is this, how come the dealer isn't saying the transmission is part of the hybrid system when it says it is on Ehow.com? I realize Ehow isn't the final authority, but I'm really frustrated with hearing advice to potential new prius owners that it's just scare tactics on these major repairs, when I'm faced with one now. Please set the record straight.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you do not have a copy of your vehicle's Maintenance Manual, you need to find one.

On my 2010, the Transaxle is covered by the 60,000 mile 60 month Power Train warranty and not the Hybrid System Warranty.

This is specifically spelled out in my 2010 Maintenance Manual. The parts covered are listed under each different warranty so there should be no confusion.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. I suggest that you view "all this talk" with some skepticism. If you do a search you'll find posts describing four-digit repairs having to do with replacing the inverter, transaxle, and traction battery - as well as miscellaneous repairs required to the MFD, combination meter, brake system, etc. The probability of any given repair being required is not high but that doesn't help if it happens to you.

2. The transaxle is covered by the 5 year / 60K mile warranty, and to confirm this you just need to look at the Maintenance and Warranty booklet.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just want to add that the information that you quoted in the eHow article is unfortunately incorrect.

5. Hunter1

Hunter1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Three

What is incorrect there? Can you fix it please so others don't suffer like I have with all this?

I have friends with very expensive cars, outside of an accident, none have had a repair bill like this. I feel like my time with Prius may be coming to an end. All this effort to help save gas money is going to cost me 5 to 10 thousand dollars. I thought I was so smart buying a Prius, now I regret it deeply. Very humbling to say the least.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you want to repair the car, there is an alternative to paying top $$$$ for dealer repair. That would be to consult with an independent shop in your area that could install a salvage transaxle. This might cost $2K or so.

7. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Your original complaint is a dying 12v battery right? How did that turn into a faulty transmission? A code?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bummer dude.

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

The basic transaxle design of the 2001-2003 Prius (Gen1 or Classic) is similar to the design of the 2004-2009 Prius (Gen2 or Iconic). The Prius transaxle never had a "transmission belt". The engine size (1.5 liters) is the same for Gen1 and Gen2.

The battery warranty is 8yrs/100k in non-CARB states and 10yrs/150k in CARB (Calif Air Resourses Board) states. The transaxle warranty is the same as the powertrain warranty, 5yrs/60k as others in this thread have already mentioned. The transaxle should last the life of the vehicle in most Prius, but not all of them.

As mentioned earlier, the transaxle is considered part of the powertrain (5yr/60k) for warranty purposes.

Check the Warranty Manual, and remember that the car warranty is for the state where the car was originally purchased (probably Arizona) not the state where the car is operated.

10. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In my experiences Hybrid Battery and Inverters are covered by the extended "hybrid warranty" but the transaxles are not...even though they are a critical part of Hybrid Synergy Drive. Go figure.

The good news is good used transaxles are relatively cheap and not that hard to install.