1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius Weak Engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by theactualethan, Feb 11, 2021.

1. theactualethan

theactualethan New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys, my girlfriend has a 2004 prius with around 220,000 miles. It was serviced regularly and was running perfectly until yesterday. I live in New England and it was incredibly cold overnight and her ancient 12V battery had died. I replaced it today using a brand new Interstate battery with considerable cold cranking amps. I started the car up and I wanted to check if the engine was running as it normally does and I pushed the gas peddle down and the engine was a bit weaker than normal. I figured it was because it had not run in a few days and maybe it was just cold. I let the engine warm up for a few minutes and pressed the gas again and it was still weak. The strangest thing was that when I floored the gas peddle the engine was louder and then became weaker when I held the peddle down. Any ideas?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Do you have any warning lights displayed on the dash?

Did you drive the vehicle around?

FYI : you're moderated until you reach five (5) posts?

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm curious what you're using as a basis for judging weakness. Are you a normal driver of the car or is it pretty much GF only? Are you familiar with how the hybrid drivetrain runs/cycles the engine only when needed? If you're pressing the gas pedal while the car is just idling in the driveway, I don't understand how you can tell strong or weak. It will usually turn itself off after the warmup cycle. It will also idle down or shut itself off if the HV battery reaches a high state of charge, even if you have the gas pressed. The car is pretty smart. Maybe the car is just doing what it's supposed to be doing? The car should actually be a bit better with a new battery, as some old "death throe" 12v batteries will actually load down the 12v system slightly due to drawing larger than normal continuous charge.

4. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The 12V auxiliary battery is not used to start the engine (ICE or Internal Combustion Engine), it is only used to boot up the computers and operate the lights, and other 12V devices. The ICE is started with the traction battery, so the 12V battery doesn't have to be large to start the engine. It's also supposed to be an AGM type battery, and I'm not sure the car is designed to keep a wet cell battery charged.

Regarding the engine not responding as you might expect when you push on the gas pedal, keep in mind that there is no direct connection between the pedal and the engine like traditional cars. The gas pedal just signals to the computers that you want to go faster and it makes the necessary adjustments to the ICE as well as the two motor-generators. The Prius is designed to drive like a conventional car, but it's not going to always react like one, especially if you're sitting in Park.