1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius with 350k and a handful of error codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by spyogenes, May 29, 2018.

1. spyogenes

spyogenes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently purchased a 2004 Prius with about 350,000km on it. The vehicle had been in a minor collision about a year ago which crumpled the hood but appeared to only cause cosmetic damage. Still get 4.0-5.0L/100km on the highway and seems to drive fine. Sometimes it has a cold rattle.

Last month I had the water pump replaced. The bearing on it was wrecked and had shredded the serpentine belt. Now the check engine light (CEL) has come on and I pulled the following codes using an OBD2 reader:

P0117
    P0138
    P0300
    P0301
    P0302
    P0304
    P0420
    P1121

Based on a cursory google search, none of these codes are serious enough to immediately stop driving the car. But obviously I would prefer fixing whatever can be fixed.

I am planning on looking into a few things to diagnose these codes. The O2 sensor by the catalytic converter, the spark plugs, and the coolant control valve. Does anyone have suggestions for what else I can look in to, or steps they would advise taking?

2. Kon_rouge

Kon_rouge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Seems like too many codes at once (reminds me of bad 12v battery). I have replace about 4 batteries in three Prius. Maybe each 1.5 year.

On 0420...be sure to figure out what fowled the catalytic because it is crazy expensive if not able to clean cat or o2 sensor. 900 - 2500$ in California. If not in CA, no worries. Congrats on high mileage.

Meg&Bear likes this.