1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 prius wont start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Michael Balliram, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Michael Balliram

Michael Balliram New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ok so i bought a 2004 prius with 82k miles o drove it home used it for a week got every light in the world on i did tons of research checked the 12v battery charged it and used 2 other batteries to see if it would start but didnt a week later i put the fully charged 12v battery in and it started with no issue used it a week and it did it again only when i tried and did the same thing again mdf and the combination cluster is blank except the seat bell sign and car beeps when u open the door like its it but wont drive ive inserted the key and try to start it but a check engine light appears quickly and disappears ive tried everything on youtube even fixed a trunk water leak i i found but not on the battery opposite side ive unplugged harnesse checked ground on battery all fuses etc oil was over filled by toyota but i corrected it im out of ideas now and i dont think its a HV battery issue because the battery didnt discharge after sitting a week when i couldnt start it and when it was started it got charged back up im lost now i have bought a code reader but havent received it yet

2. Michael Balliram

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sucks cause i have a rsx type s with 500 whp this is suppose to be a work car never had a toyota but this just sucks

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

You might check and clean up the MAF.

Time to upgrade the tool arsenal to include a mini-vci cable and a copy of techstream.

Did you have any DTCs worth sharing?

JC91006 likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like somethings draining the 12v when it's off. what were you expecting with a 16 year old car?

with today's gas prices, you might as well drive the rsx

5. Michael Balliram

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I tried 3 diffrent 12v batteries which all were tested and worked wasnt the issue

I do food delivery i cant do that in a race car and i was thinking my rsx is 18 years old ran hard and never gave me a issue expected the same from the reliable toyota

Code reader will come in today i will clean the MAF also but can the MAF cause the car to not start attached is a youtube link of the issue but my check engine light comes on for a second and disappear

#5 Michael Balliram, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2020
  6. Michael Balliram

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Best to do an OBD2 for codes (DTCs) and post then here for additional guidance.

Missed the part about the combination meter being blank - You may need either attempt a DIY fix (replace the capacitors) or order a replacement with a lifetime warranty from Matt at : Prius Speedometer Replacement

(didn't watch the video)

8. Michael Balliram

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So i found out the check engine light and nothing on the screen was a relay that was wiggling under the hood seems to have reset the ecu i did get the code reader but custom pids arent working for some reason on torque pro and codes havent appeared again yet