1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius Won't Turn On

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by daghofshi, Oct 30, 2019.

1. daghofshi

daghofshi New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Great news! (Maybe)

Found the latch to open the hatch. Started taking everything apart and noticed the auxillary battery as I was. I never really laid eyes on it before. I figured I'd hook the jumpers up here and...it worked. Perfectly. I even started it. But my jumpers have a timer, and as soon as that timer went off, the car died flat again. Does this mean I may just need a new aux battery?? This progress has me very excited.

SFO likes this.
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    12v batteries don't last forever, it might be time to replace it after 6 years.

Can you remove it and take it into an auto parts shop and have them test/charge it for free?

3. daghofshi

daghofshi New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't know when it was replaced if ever! I will take it to a shop to be tested but will have to wait for a ride. Will keep updated.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a date code on top

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Dag,

Toyota planned for this. There is an under hood jump point. (and it's shown in the owners manual just in case my description doesn't work).

They kind of assumed if the 12v battery was dead, you would need a jump, but the trunk would be unable to be operated.

Look under the red cover inside the fuse box. Connect your positive jump cable to the terminal under the red cover. That cable goes directly to the positive terminal of the battery. Then connect the negative jumper to any bare metal component on the car body.

Ta-da.....you've just done the same exact thing as connecting a jump pack to the battery in the trunk, except you didn't need to be a contortionist. now you should be able to just open the trunk like normal.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car should run even with the battery removed (once the car has been started, of course), so something else is going on here,

You may indeed need a new battery, but that can easily be worked out by testing.

Good luck with finding the problem here.

landspeed likes this.
  7. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

Are you saying, that the car was running, but as soon as the timer shut down, the car went totally 'dead'? If so, it could point to a number of issues. It is worth getting the battery tested (the 12v battery), but if the car is shutting down (when it is properly started up), there could be something else wrong. It is worth getting the 12v battery tested, in case it is 'shorted', and pulling the voltage down so low that the car's computers are crashing (the microcontrollers used have a low-voltage interrupt that causes a 'reboot' of the computers if voltage drops too low, which would cause the car to immediately shut down if the 12v battery was dead at that stage).