1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 pruis at a stop engine keeps trying to start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jmack111, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sitting In My Car With Engine On. Running on battery 1/2 charged waiting for my mom with the heater on. Turn out the heater all the way to max so the engine comes on. To charge the battery. It sounded bad like to starting over and over for 10 sec. then I turned down the heat and back up worked fine.

It done some thing like this at lights too. Running ruff then other time it fine
    Have new plug and battery, air filter and ran cleaner throw gas….
    :mad:

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    1. Check if the throttle body needs cleaning.
    2. It's a pain, but replace the PCV valve.
    3. You may have an intermittent plug igniter (separate coil per plug) or loose ignition wiring.

Good luck, JeffD

3. nthach

nthach New Member

If the 3rd scenario was true, you will also see the CEL light up and possibly the word Problem and a warning icon pop up on the MFD indicating a P030x DTC is triggered, which means a misfire has occured.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    By The Way, you don't have to do anything to manage battery charge. With the car on ("Ready") and in Park the engine will start automatically when it needs charging. If you make the engine start by turning up the cabin heat when you don't really want cabin heat, you're just wasting gas.

5. triumph1

triumph1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Mine did this once, last January. Hasn't done it since.