1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Red Triangle of Death / CEL / more issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by brettster323, May 11, 2023.

1. brettster323

brettster323 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2004 102,000 miles, was my grandmothers vehicle which was used all locally for first 16 years of its life (75k) , i tacked on the rest since 2020. - Maintenance was standard, Routine and up to date.
    All of a sudden : Triangle light, Check Engine light, and Info (!) light on the dash. Hybrid battery on display will drain rapidly just sitting in park, in a matter of 5 minutes it goes full green to one bar purple.
    I checked the codes : P1121 - Replaced with OEM parts, and retopped off OEM Coolant , P1116 - Coolant Temperature Sensor - yet to do repair as i wanted to ask you all first what to do.
    I clear the codes, and they return shortly after , i then experience moments of no throttle response ( vehicle still fully powered just not moving) once i come to a stop and wait....re-accelerate and it will do so? very odd.

so i'm not getting a code that would point to the battery being the issues directly, which lead me to thinking it was the hybrid battery fan, i went back there and cleaned it up (wasn't bad at all), while back there i gave the Battery a touch and good lord was it HOT! so is this an overheating issue causing the battery to act up, or is this a failure in the battery itself.
    any help is appreciated, i'm looking at a Full Replacement of Hybrid Battery ($1,499 + tax for a fully warrantied)
    or the possibility of Fixing the underlying issue at a more not insane price tag lol

thanks in advance gents

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    generally, the wildly fluctuating battery meter indicates a bad battery.

what code reader are you using?

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Sounds like the fan or related relay is not doing its job, the battery should never got that hot, and if kept cooler (80F) the longer it will last. If the fan is actually working, then the HV battery is failing. You could use an infared gun to visually inspect each module for overheating, or likely a finger touch could tell you the same thing.
    For $1500+ you are nearing the price point of a 'New' (not used) OEM battery purchased OTC at a dealership (1650+), then do a self install.

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four