1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Smart vs Non Smart Key Fob Functions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DreadPiratePatty, Mar 10, 2018.

1. DreadPiratePatty

DreadPiratePatty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a (presumably) physically damaged key fob for my 2004. It has a silver logo, and from what I have been googling it seems it cannot be replaced by the considerably less expensive fob with a black logo. Is this true? I don’t understand the smart functions/smart key fob versus the black logo one I suppose. Right now I have to pry the manual key out of the fob to unlock the door, then use the fob to start the car. Is it possible to use only the metal key to start the car? I’ve replaced the battery, but the buttons are still not functioning. I once dropped the fob it set off the red panic button function and I had to run outside to the car and start the ignition to get it to stop sounding the alarm. I only have the one fob...need to buy something and also a spare if at all possible as I cannot imagine the issue I’d have if I lost it or it completely stopped working. I am curious about replacing only the outer shell and transplanting the guts and chip into it which is only a $15 cost instead of the $350 cost at the dealer for the smart one. Truthfully, my Prius still scares me (have had it under a year) but this forum has been very helpful. Since this is my only car and I live in a remote part of the desert I am loathe to do anything that is going to strand me. Like disabling my only key by trying to fix it!

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A new case may fix it. The rubber buttons tend to wear out and either jam ON or just not function at all. Be sure to transfer the transponder chip as well as the circuit board to the new case. The old case can be pried open with needle nose pliers spread in the mechanical key opening. There is a red LED that should flash when a button is pressed.