1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 smartkey vs not...12 battery question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AnthonyPark, Oct 6, 2016.

1. AnthonyPark

AnthonyPark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apparently, my repair shop gave me the wrong battery as it will not fit inside the well. Its noticeably bigger too.

So rather than drive 40 miles one way to ask them to exchange... what would happen if i just put that batttery in the prius.

I didnt know there was a "smart key vs not smart key" prius.

What should I do? can I put the battery in?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To install the bigger battery,, you can probably just take off the bottom bracket where the battery sits. Toyota makes another bracket for the smart key prius, but if you remove it, it might work.

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Read. 12V Battery Upgrade: non-Smart Key (35A h) to Smart Key (45A h) | PriusChat

You can replace the bottom clamp assembly w/ the longer smart key one, to fit the bigger battery; $12 when I did the battery upgrade 2 years ago. OR, you can just cut the metal arm off (hacksaw, sawz-all/reciprociating saw, circular grinding cut off wheel), and insert a scrap piece of wood to fill the space, acting like the vertical arm that was cut off.

If you buy the SKS bottom clamp assembly, your local Toyota dealer will likely match Camelback's online price. Just ask.

EDIT: Camelback link 2007 Toyota Prius Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping

#3 exstudent, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    JC91006 likes this.
  4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You don't want to have a battery that is not properly secured. To properly secure it, you will have to do some alterations.

If the proper battery was not available, fine. Spend money on new brackets and/or saw, hammer, wedge to your hearts content.

But, it is available albeit at a distance. Get the proper size battery.

5. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I went through the same thing when I purchased the Optima Yellow Top. It was bigger and didn't sit correctly in the tray. My solution was to buy the bigger tray that accommodates the bigger battery. Another $20 or so I believe.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    make sure they at least gave you a proper prius battery with vent, not an incorrect aftermarket battery like the one that killed the people in the porsche cayan.

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The smaller AGM battery for non-SKS cars is only available from a Toyota dealer; considerably more than the cost of the larger SKS battery.

Best to upgrade to the SKS 12V battery due to cost and larger capacity (45 vs 35Amp Hr).