1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Strut replacement question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by sciencekit, Jan 9, 2012.

1. sciencekit

sciencekit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am replacing my front and rear struts (195K miles), and so far can only find KYB components. Those are OEM and I suppose they are OK (found them on a Toy Dealership parts site and elsewhere) Any suggestions if I should replace just the struts, or should I anticipate springs, dust covers, mounts, etc.?

Anyone performed this and learned "Wow. Wish I had also ordered 'x', 'y', and 'z'?" Also is the a better sway bar for the rear?

Thanks! :)

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The KY Struts have a lifetime warranty and are good quality. I replaced the upper mounts as well when I replaced my 2004 struts.

JeffD

3. ranczar

ranczar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have an '04 and just replaced my struts (all 4) about a month ago. I bought KYB parts and had a mechanic friend perform the work. He made sure I purchased all the parts that might be needed so that he could finish the job without having to order more parts. Along with the 4 struts you'll need 2 front strut mounts, two strut mount bushing kits (one for each rear wheel) and two strut boots, one for each rear wheel. (check the private sale section of this forum, as I have a new pair of these strut boots for sale at a reduced price!) After the install, you'll need an alignment, so be prepared for that expense, too.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The OP will need the pleated boots for the front struts. The bottom of the coil springs rest on a rubber insulator and it would be reasonable to replace those as well.

5. sciencekit

sciencekit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tire Rack seems to offer all four struts for a much better price than CT. Anyone know if the KYB GR-2 struts are somehow different than the OEM? Besides being cheaper.

6. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i don't feel like buying spring compressors and dealing with the dangers of all that potential energy, I'd rather buy complete struts, you spend a little extra but you get all new springs and mounts and boots and install becomes much easier, quicker & safer. Completestruts.com doesn't have the prius yet, anybody know where else I can get a set of complete struts?

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have posted on how to do this job and it really is easy and simple *if* you have the correct strut compressor tool.

Nevertheless if you don't wish to do it yourself, then may I suggest that you remove the old strut assemblies, and take those along with the new parts to a friendly local mechanic, asking him to remove the old parts and replace with the new. My guess is that he might charge you $50 or so for that service.

8. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks Patrick, but my car sags a little in the back, the struts/shocks push the tires down and the springs hold the car up, right? this is very important for me because I like to run taller tires, especially in the winter to give me more ground clearance. So I thought I would just replace everything all at once. I'm sure there is a video on youtube to show you how to push your car down and see how quickly it takes to pop back up to see if you need new struts or shocks, I'm only at 51K but Michigan roads are murder on suspensions.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes if sagging you need new springs also.

KYB makes an excellent strut. Make sure you get a new bearing assy
    that sits on top of the strut and allows the the strut to spin back & forth.