1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 179km Wont go to Ready Mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Joxuel, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Joxuel

Joxuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i recently bought a 2005 Gen 2 with 177 km about a month ago. The car have some problem but bought very cheap. The car was driven perfect for the first 2 weeks. after that i will take long to start, you could only hear the Clank* noises when trying to start it. after another week my car will take longer to start, like 2 min or so. A few day past and i Was refulling my car and left it to my mechanic that he will work on the brakes, when i pick up the car it was working fine, then all.os a sudden the car was limping on the way home. I parked the car, wait for the next day and take it for a drive and it still was on limp mode.

I put the Obd2 reader and i will say ablut a Code for Low Vomtage Hybrid system. i Open the hybrid battery, check the cell individual and the were all at 8.1 V. I Changed some cell that have some "greasse" a Pop som 7.8 v cell on it. Mount Back the hybrid battery and now the car will Clank but not get into Ready mode. Really need this car, i work on the streets visiting clients and ive been 5 days with out a car. Someone here told me to check the fuse on the "Orange Plug" and thats what im goin to do today. Any Tips?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how is 12v health?

Joxuel likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The orange plug is a three-step process. Make sure all 3 steps are followed or else the HV battery is still not connected to the car. You should hear some "clicks" coming from the battery area when the car is turned to "ON" (aka ready mode) not ACC mode. These clicks are the physical relays electrically connecting the batt to the car.

Bottom line tho' is this car has a very weak HV battery (most likely the reason the car was abandoned so cheaply by the PO) and you will need a NEW battery to have a reliable car for work. Is PR, Puerto Rico?

GOOD LUCK!

uart and Joxuel like this.
  4. Joxuel

Joxuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

12.4 v , Yesterday i Messure it

5. Joxuel

Joxuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ok, i can doble check, i verified the voltage of each cell and the messure 7.9 and 8 v. So i thought that maybe that was not the case.

and you are Correct PR is for Puerto Rico.

6. Priuslover09

Priuslover09 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Is your clutch stuck? And what does pr mean from where your from?

Joxuel likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no clutch, puerto rico

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Really?

9. Joxuel

Joxuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys, Open again the battery to check. And something was telling me to check the plug in the ECU from the Hybrid and Saw this, Is this maybe the problem? maybe the ECU cant recognise the Voltage because of this?? any tought guys? IMG-20200303-WA0036.jpeg 1583257245619.jpeg

SFO and Priuslover09 like this.
  10. Priuslover09

Priuslover09 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Most likely what’s the code then we can tell you

11. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes. That's clearly bad. Those are all sense wires going into different battery blocks so that ecu will know their voltage and that one is clearly not connected good. So that will cause the ECU not to see the voltage from that/those blocks. To fix this you'll probably need a new wiring harness (in the hybrid battery) and a battery ecu. Or used ones.

Joxuel likes this.
  12. Joxuel

Joxuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    maybe insted of changing the whole ECU , i may take to an electro mechanic to see if they can vhanged the orange plug on the ECU, and myabe just buy the new wiring. Any tought in that ?

13. Joxuel

Joxuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hybird Voltage Low i think that the P0AFA i think, and another one for the Tempetaure Sensor on the HV. (the tempature sensor i mess it up my self trying to fix it, so that imma buy used if i can on Ebay.

14. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Without the electro mechanic having an extra HV battery ECU laying around, there would be little chance in changing out that orange plug. Opening up the ECU to check for additional corrosion isn't a bad idea, unless the used part costs less.

Buying a new harness could be far easier than attempting to extract the stuck pin from the existing one.

15. Joxuel

Joxuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes, i bought a new ECU, and the Wireness i just removed the insertetd pin and wash with White vinegar to elminate de Corrision, do you still think i should buy new Harrness wiring ?

16. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the voltage sense wires connected to the modules look good, then you should fine with the old harness. Though if you payed big money for a new ECU, a new harness would offer piece of mind knowing that you don't have to go back in and check for corrosion any time soon.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Joxuel

Joxuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My mistake i bought a used one on eBay from Hybrid World only 99$ and gave 2 moth warranty in case something goes bad. Let see what happens when it arrived on Monday.

SFO likes this.
  18. Joxuel

Joxuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As well i fix the old harness i think, i removed the piece stuck on it and clean it as well. Let see if it works if not i can buy the full harness of the HV battery used not new but in good shape.

19. Joxuel

Joxuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Updated: Change ECU, but the car still not start. The Low Voltage Code is no more, but the car still doesnt want to start Screenshot_2020-03-09-17-21-53-677_com.nexcell.app.jpeg

20. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are there any DTCs that the OBD2 reader might be showing?

Joxuel likes this.