1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 186k prius acting up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jennifer Law, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Jennifer Law

Jennifer Law New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just purchased my prius from my boyfriend about two months ago. It never gave him any problems for the 6 years he had it. He just replaced the inverter coolant pump in Feb.

About a week ago my dash lights came on( red triangle, vsc, (!), and check engine.) it was driving fine. We took it to our local mechanic and he read the codes. Four came up, I'm trying to find our print out he gave us, but he said it was either the 12v battery or a brake censor and he cleared the dash lights for us .

The optimum 12v battery was over six years old so we replaced the battery with another optimum via pep boys. After it was replaced the lights came back on, but i figured it was from changing the battery. (Idk) and the car was driving fine.

A few days later I take a trip that's an hour away because my car was driving fine. After about 45 minutes I heard the back seat vent kick on. Five minutes after that all of my dash lights shut off and came back on so i pulled over. I turned my car off and the engine wouldn't turn back on, but my lights and windows worked. Triple A came and said the 12v battery was at 100% health but was only emitting 11% and something was draining it. My boyfriend changed a fuse under the hood that was blown and I was able to drive home. I noticed when I turned the AC on the car almost became over heated and had a hard time accelerating and the top left back headlight was out, not the entire panel just the top one.

Did a test drive around the block the next day and the car didn't want to accelerate and would almost stall trying to accelerate after stopping. dash lights were still on- red triangle vsc and (!) but no check engine.

Took it back to my mechanic ran codes again now there are 12 codes coming up that are implying I need a new HV battery.

Drove it home and my car was driving great and the rear headlight was back on. All dash lights were still on.

I'm sure I will have to replace the HV battery, but I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else. and does anyone think it's strange or just a coincidence that the car started malfunctioning after replacing the 12v?

any advice is appreciated

codes from today:
    p3000
    p3102
    p0a90
    p3012
    c1242
    c1256
    c1259
    c1310
    immobilizer phase 3 code:
    history codes:
    b1260

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    way too much going on there. start by checking the inverter coolant reservoir for fluid movement when in ready, clean the battery cooling fan, get a free 12v load test at an auto parts store, and find out if anyone is using tech stream to read the codes.

which fuse did he replace?

*and do your due diligence before buying a hybrid battery!

SFO likes this.
  3. Jennifer Law

Jennifer Law New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He replaced the am2 15 amp fuse

I forgot to mention that we did replace the coolant pump inverter with an oem after my car started malfunctioning and it is working correctly.

*thanks for your response*

bisco likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After you know the 12v is ok, I suspect the next thing to replace is "Wire Frame No2" which is the voltage sensing harness on the hyrbid battery pack. They tend to get corroded and corrosion can work its way into battery ECU. The good news is the part to fix it only cost $50 to $89 dollars at any Toyota Stealership. And if the battery ECU is damaged you can get a used one for $50 from a wrecker or $800 for a new one from a Stealership. ;-)

Once you get all that taken car of most of your error codes will be gone and report back and we'll help you with the rest of them.

bisco likes this.
  5. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jennifer, do you know if the hybrid battery is original? If so 16 years is a pretty good run for a hybrid battery!

If the battery isn’t bad, like stated above, it for sure has lots of corrosion being so old, and in Florida.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replaced fuse after AAA came and jumped it. Wow your very lucky they didn't total the car they most likely reverse jumped it and it blew the dome fuse. Hope they didn't jump it directly to the battery? Seen this like 2,0000 times on this site so far.

The bad news is the hybrid battery is done that's why you have the red triangle of death the RTOD and the battery fan came on. It needs to come out and have all its corrosion cleaned up at the least. You probably have some cracked modules too leaking electrolyte.
    Its gonna need alot of work.

Theirs hundreds and hundreds of hybrid battery posts on this site as all the G2 hybrid battery's are failing.

No ones driving there car anymore and that will flat out kill an old high mileage ( I guess.... you never posted mileage) prius battery. And the 12 volt battery too. Thats why the 12 need a jump.

As far as the hybrid battery is concerned all I can recommend is whatever you do, do not get a Craigs List battery expert jackass over to "rebuild" your battery for $500. It will last about 2 weeks and you'll never see that dude again.

Start reading.

7. Jennifer Law

Jennifer Law New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The AAA guy did use a hybrid specific battery reader/charger. I have found an electric battery mechanic that uses refurbished batteries and comes to your house to install for $999 one year warranty and $1300 five year warranty. I am wondering if this is a good deal/idea? I asked him about the C codes showing up and he stated that they are most likely reading because of the dead hv battery.

I am worried about the break acutator failing which seems to be more expensive than a battery replacement and might also be a problem with my car because c1256 did show up on my codes chart. I am thinking about replacing the hv battery and trying to sell it with a clean conscience before more problems occur.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On the 12v, the Gen2 charges it up slowly, and there is some drain via the SKS key system. So you want to make sure your new 12v is charged up either via battery tender or driving long enough to allow it to fill up with juice. After that we have a long list of other things that can happen. My HV batt is bad but I can still drive it OK, except I left my guard down and allowed the SKS to drain the 12v on standing.

Sold it ....the 06 at 192K...will take farewell pic Monday... got the RAV4H which at first we did not use due to COVID lockdown but lately we had to travel a lot unexpectedly for family reasons, so it was timely new car purchase in the end.

#8 wjtracy, Aug 28, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is generally not a good idea. too many fly by nighters out there doing shoddy rebuilding jobs and don't come back after failure

sounds like your boyfriend is capable of installing a brand new $1,600. battery from 'newpriusbatteries.com'

10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You have
    Or pay another $700 and get a new Toyota battery installed by a third party. But I would absolutely verify the condition of other expensive systems before heavily investing in a 2005 gen 2. New Prius pricing is pretty good with low gas prices, end of year sales and significant Toyota rebates. Be sure to consider the repaired value of your 05 before investing heavily.

bisco likes this.