1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 abs brake actuator

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 4priusowner, Jan 15, 2019.

1. 4priusowner

4priusowner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Daughter took her 2005 in to have brake actuator checked out and to see where the warranty would apply the warranty was she was told the warranty was over December 31st but yes it was the part number they gave was 0 4 0 0 3 44347 I'm wondering is that a new part number because on eBay that giving other numbers for the same part. Or for the actuator for the 2005 Prius.anybody know anything about the numbers or have they been changed because they redesigned it.the price that Toyota dealer game for the part was $1,700 I found the part online for $1,100 but I'm wondering whether I can just purchase a used one on eBay and will I get away with it because it's too much money.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe one day there'll be a recall. But only if everyone complains to Toyota corporate or nhsta

If you can do this on your own, you're already saving a bunch of money. In getting a used part, you may have to do it again when the used part fails

4priusowner likes this.
  3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    #3 jzchen, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    4priusowner likes this.
  4. kens97uber171

kens97uber171 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have an 08, accumulator pump went out, after some research by myself and a salvage yard guy.
    Decided that the part number does not matter... I believe there are 3 different #'s that are used.
    Best guess is they are all the same, but with different suppliers.
    The replacement part # from Toyota is the same regardless of what the actual part number is in your particular car. You could have any one of the 3 available and in any year of car.. best we could figure out.
    The one I put into my car had a number that did not match the one that came out, and it seems to work just fine.
    You might try to find one that's the same year just to be sure.. there were some changes.. 04-06. And 07-09 I think. So.. I know there were some changes at some point.
    But it's very likely that any one of the pumps will work.
    A newer one might be less likely to fail.. since it's newer and likely less miles.
    I got one for $250 plus shipping.
    Took me 5 hours to swap it . Then had to bleed the brakes. If you don't have Techstream you will need a dealer to bleed the brakes.
    Good luck.

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I found this from a Japanese site/seller (Amayama) which I found other parts much cheaper than here in the US, but not in this case:

Brake tube & clamp for Toyota Prius NHW20L - Auto parts

44500-47090, which supersedes to 44500-47091 on US online Toyota Parts sites. So if you go the used route probably better to go with part ending -91.

4priusowner likes this.
  6. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota had a situation with the brake accumulator assemblies on 2nd generation Prius. There was an extended coverage for additional mileage and an extended time period to have this repaired under extended warranty. My 08 Prius brake actuator assembly went out in June of 08. Unfortunately I was 2 months out of the extended warranty. The Part number of a new brake actuator from a Toyota dealer is the new part number for the new replacement part that apparently solves the problem of the failures of these assemblies. An old part number or a salvaged part from an older model will have a part that is susceptible to the same failure as the one you are replacing.

I don't have any special knowledge or insight but I was able to learn about this situation from a Toyota Dealer and Toyota Technician who was kind enough to take the time to talk me through the repair and give me the confidence to do it myself.

There seemed to be a question about the different part numbers and I hope this post contributes to clearing up any confusion. Any part you can now get from a Toyota Dealer is the new part. Good luck with your repair!

4priusowner and JC91006 like this.
  7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    4priusowner and JC91006 like this.
  8. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you guys replace the resistor from the donor car when you swap these out?

SFO likes this.
  9. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For myself the Toyota actuator did come packaged with a new resistor that calibrated perfectly to the new Toyota brake actuator. One of the steps post installation is to calibrate the new brake actuator.

4priusowner and SFO like this.
  10. 4priusowner

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Did you get yours from Toyota or Doorman? And how much was it.

11. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought mine from Oalthe Toyota for $1,134. Since it was a Toyota Dealer it was a Toyota part. At the time this was the lowest online price from a Toyota dealer, there may be a different Toyota dealer with a lower online price now. It came with a typical 1 year warranty. As I understand any Toyota dealer would honor the warranty just bring in the proof of purchase and the failed part. So a local Toyota dealer would honor the warranty for this Toyota part and replace the faulty part. I actually called Oalthe Toyota and asked about the warranty and they were the ones who told me this.I hope this answered your question okay.

#11 John321, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    4priusowner and Skibob like this.
  12. 4priusowner

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    you answer my question but as someone above recommended to call Dorman and Dorman does a remanufactured part that has a lifetime warranty for only $706 so I think I'm going to go with them but thank you for your input.

13. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What are you guys paying for labor to get this done?

14. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rph74 I was quoted about $1300 by Toyota Dealership to replace. An independent mechanic who knew about these vehicles and had access to the proper information and tools may do it for much less. I ended up doing it myself.

I would recommend anyone who wants to do this job themselves download the Prius Factory Service Manual and read the entire section on replacing the Brake Actuator including the after install calibration/initialization brake bleed procedures. Then you would know exactly what is involved with this job when you interacted with a mechanic or made a decision to do it yourself.

15. genchau

genchau Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  16. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a Prius v, just trying to help find options for people...

moto g(7) power ?

17. 4priusowner

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ended up ordering and doi g.the job my self. Sorry didn't get back to you all on this. It was a six hour job as had to take out electric motor completely to get access but still pretty straight forward. I think I have videos. Afterwards had to have the system Calibrated with computer and techstream but all is well now and only cost 706.00 for the remanufactured with lifetime warranty, to better than original part and free shipping from doorman. All is well and no more chirping.

Prius Rising and jzchen like this.
  18. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for sharing! There was a single bad review of the Dorman unit so I was quite worried I made a bad suggestion.

moto g(7) power ?