1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Mike Carambat

Mike Carambat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, my 2005 (177K miles) AC finally petered out. Was getting worse over a few months, then in the last month it completely gave up the ghost in this 90+ degree weather we're having. So, dealer says its leaking in the front Evaporator core and to fix it is a huge pain in the butt requiring about $1200 worth of labor and parts.

They also recommend replacing the Dryer as well for another $460

Then, a full evac and recharge for $220

Total: $1880

Considering the car is over 10 years old, and the compressor is probably gonna go out soon as well, I'm probably not going to do the repair. I think I'm just gonna throw some 134A in there, regardless of the leak, every few months or so over the summer.

From what I'm reading it shouldn't be a major deal to test how bad the leak is, and at just a few bucks a can, and if it's a slow leak, this should keep me going.

Anything additional I should know about this car versus other vehicles I've added freon to? So far, all I've been told here is to use 134A WITHOUT PAG oil as it requires ND-11. I'm not planning on adding more oil, just keeping whatever's already in there. Just wanna top the freon off and get the pressures right.

Thanks,
    Mike

#1 Mike Carambat, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you talking about the evaporator which is in the passenger compartment and would be difficult to replace; or are you talking about the condenser which is mounted in front of the engine radiator and sometimes can be damaged when a rock hits it?

If you are referring to the condenser, you can buy the correct replacement for $231 (which includes the receiver dryer) and it should not be too hard to replace.
    2005 Toyota Prius Parts - AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway Parts

After the part is replaced, then take the car to the dealer to have the system put on vacuum, then recharged with R-134a.

3. Mike Carambat

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    evaporator in passenger compartment :( said they have to completely dismantle the dashboard or something like that

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is correct, the dashboard has to be removed for access.

5. Mike Carambat

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well anyway, What's the high side pressure supposed to be on a regular hot day, with and without the compressor running for the Prius?

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When the compressor is running, ambient air temp is 86 - 95 degrees F, the fan speed is maximum, the cabin air temp is MAX COLD (or 65 degrees F, whatever the lowest setting is), and the doors are open, the low pressure spec is 0.15 - 0.25 MPa while the high pressure spec is 1.37 - 1.57 MPa. (I'll leave it to you to convert to psi or whatever measurement standard you need.)

There is no spec when the compressor is not running.

When I refill R-134a, I use the low pressure spec to determine how much refrigerant to add.

7. Mike Carambat

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Right, sorry meant lo side. But .25MPa in psi is only about 36psi which leaves me chilling at around 35-36 degrees (only a few degrees over the freezing point of 32). Shouldn't it be a bit more? Isn't there a chance semi sluggish freon could get sucked back in and hurt the compressor?

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you say "more", do you mean that you want the temperature from the air conditioner vent outlets to be higher than 35-36 degrees F?

I would use the middle of the low pressure spec, 0.2 MPa or 29 psi, when adding R-134a. The Prius refrigerant capacity is not very high and therefore not much needs to be added to achieve the spec.

R-134a is supposed to be liquid in the high pressure area and gaseous in the low pressure area. The change of state from liquid to gas is how the refrigerant effect is achieved. R-134a would become a solid at a very low temperature, -154 degrees F.

So you don't have to worry about it being sluggish but you do have to worry about adding excess refrigerant which would impair the cooling efficiency.

9. Mike Carambat

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the help! Sorry about the late reply.

Looks like the leak is a bit worse than I had guessed. The replacement refrigerant I put in last month is just running out now. Even still, I'd only need to keep refilling it a few more times until the summer is over, which is still a great deal less expensive than $1880 worth of repairs. Can't see the benefit in spending half of what the car is worth when I can just drop in a few more inexpensive cans of freon.

That said, is there any chance of using a stop leak product with the Prius AC, or would this screw up the electric compressor like putting in the wrong kind of oil?

ukiltmybrutha likes this.
  10. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    stop leak never works for anything. its just a way to take some money from you.
    I would want someone to put some dye in the system to verify it is the evaporator leaking. apparently, Toyota dealers seem to have lousy technicians. it sure would suck to have the evaporator replaced if all you have is a leaky Schrader valve.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sadly, that's partly because your Prius is private property but the atmosphere is a commons. ;)

How about some middle ground? The real pain is the labor (instrument panel out is tedious). You can get the evap from the online Toyota dealers around $215 and the dryer for about $70. Without digging out the instrument panel (which is the painful part anyway), the dealer might not even be sure whether you need an evaporator, as opposed to, say, O rings in the joints near the evaporator. (Or, if they are sure, did you ask what made them sure?)

That labor makes up such a big portion of the total price makes a job a good candidate for DIY. How about removing most of the instrument panel and (carefully) driving to your friendly neighborhood A/C shoppe to really pinpoint the leak (now that they can see stuff) and replace the parts as needed? If it isn't the evap, send your unopened one back. If the local shoppe has equipment that isn't contaminated with non-ND-11 oil, they can even do your evac-and-recharge for you and send you back home to assemble your instrument panel.

See Bill the Engineer's Hybrid Convertible Project thread for evidence you can drive the car with much of the panel out. :D

I have never done any such thing that I would publicly admit to on this forum.

Works best if your friendly A/C shoppe is nearby and on a route not frequented by cops.

-Chap

12. Mike Carambat

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just found the Holy Grail. Interdynamics makes this product now: HYB-134a for about $15 a can on Amazon. It's refrigerant, Oil and Stop Leak all in one, plus guaranteed safe for Hybrids! Only product I've found that states this. I bought two cans and it freakin worked! One can filled my system but only ran the AC for about 2 days before it leaked out, however, after adding the second can, it's staying solid on for the past two weeks! I don't think it does much for punctures, but it works great for leaking seals as it's the sealant is just a rubber swelling agent from what I've read. Only read one review where they said it screwed up their components. Everyone else loves it. So far so good. Will post if anything goes pear shaped...

ukiltmybrutha likes this.
  13. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    a $15/can refrigerant, with oil, safe for hybrids?

I have read plenty warning against oil in Prius A/C refrigerant. Toyota says if oil+ refrigerant is used, the entire system should be replaced. So I am skeptical.

Were you able to find any external data that supported the claims of this Amazon product?

14. Mike Carambat

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Amazon is just a good place to buy it. interdynamics makes it. Reputable, well known AC charging/repair company