1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 AC

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Prius Mama, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Prius Mama

Prius Mama New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hey first post :) Wondering if anyone can help me-- A/C started blowing with less force and not as cold on trip to colorado. Turned it off half hour and then worked fine again for while. Then did it again down road a bit. Doing it more now when I get in car and it's hot out takes a while to get goin maybe half hour then it's fine. Today I noticed when it was workin it's way up to be fine (cold) two vents on driver side where blowin out the same but not cold and two on other side were! I shut ones on left to see what would happen didn't change much- just two on right were more forceful. Technician at shop says could be blower issue or freon issue. Freon 145 to kinda pricey if NOT that (just to hook it up- empty freon and fill) and blower friend said on YouTube not too hard.

Blower seems to work fine tho as far as how forcefully it's coming out. Thoughts?

2. Prius Mama

Prius Mama New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have no idea if mine is a ONE model or what it is lol suppose i could check the owners manual. 2005. 201K miles and drives great yet!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    in your first sentence, you said it was blowing with less force.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your post is pretty unclear. Is it a fan problem or is it warm when it does blow?

The cabin ac blower fan lasts about 9 years. Mine ran everyday every minute the car was on for nine years.
    Then one day it just stopped. Next day it came on and ran for a bit then stopped.
    I replaced it with an original brand new blower. Search my old posts I did a write up on it but there's hundreds of posts on how to do it. Hard part is you have to lay on your back under the glove compartment. I think the original blower fan was $80.

If blowing warm your best bet and cheapest Play in the long run is take it to a good car ac shop. They will check the refrigerant level and if low will inject die into the system and search the system for leaks.
    That's about $150 for that in my neck of the woods.
    Double that if you take it to a dealer.

Data Daedalus and bisco like this.
  5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Triple that if you take it in during August.

;)

6. Prius Mama

Prius Mama New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Actually my Toyota dealer only charges $145 to drain and fill for freon. But yes- sometimes doesn't blow with much force and sometimes one side is room temp /other side is cool. Very odd. We replaced the blower motor with a great YouTube video and right side now is cold cold max cold but left side still not max cold. Blows much better tho.

Data Daedalus and bisco like this.
  7. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no reason to EVER "drain and refill" a refrigeration system. For a STEALership to suggest it, could be construed as criminal as it is against the law to "top off" a system that is leaking.

8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When switching between the different air flow settings (feet, face, windscreen) do you hear motors actuating under the drive side dash?

You might also hear a light ticking sound (think portable alarm clock) or a plastic like crumpling sound coming from the same area under the steering wheel.

Data Daedalus and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the airflow is reduced when the blower should be blowing, there aren't many possible reasons to check out. Either the blower itself isn't performing well, or something is interfering with the airflow. The cabin air filter would be a prime suspect. After that, debris that could have been packed into the evaporator coil. (An old vehicle I had with no cabin air filter got lots of chopped-up leaves plugging the evaporator really well, but in a Prius, that shouldn't happen unless the air filter has been missing for a while or something.)

Finally, there could be a problem with the positioning of the flaps that direct airflow around inside the unit. Those are moved around by servo motors, and the motors send back position feedback to the A/C computer, so it usually knows if they are not arriving at their proper positions. It can tell you so, if you ask for the codes (hold AUTO and RECIRC while turning the car on ... easier that doing headstands in front of the seats to try to see them in action).

In a different type of failure, a linkage physically breaks, so the servo motor may think it moved to the right place, but the flap it controls did not. In a case like that, there are less likely to be codes.

-Chap

Data Daedalus likes this.
  10. 1SteelerFan

1SteelerFan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Could it be the blower motor resister

11. Chris Franks

Chris Franks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    9 years is correct. My 2007 A/C blower stopped. Banging under the glove box started it again, but for shorter and shorter times. The brushes in the DC motor are obviously worn down. I bought a used blower from LKQ for $25 and a big hand mirror from Dollar Tree for $1 so I could sit comfortably in the passenger seat and replace the motor by staring into the mirror on the floor. Took me about 30 minutes, but my excuse for that is that I am 86 years old this month and not as fast as before, sort of half-fast.

#11 Chris Franks, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2017
    SFO likes this.