1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Gen 2 - Left Taillight isn’t lighting after plastic shielding broke - Dealer or home fix?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Seth4, May 21, 2018.

1. Seth4

Seth4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I accidentally backed into something and it cracked the plastic shield for the read left taillight. Since then, potentially due to water damage or just an old system, the LEDs and lights on the whole left taillight aren’t working. Should I go to my dealership or does anyone recommend/have experience buying this assembly and doing it themself?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Buy another one and do it yourself. It'll be half the cost of the dealer's diagnostics

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. PAUL SCHULTZ

PAUL SCHULTZ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  4. Stimp

Stimp Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If there's a chance u want to keep it, I would check the connection first. Also, make sure it's getting power from the car, a replacement won't work without that either. May be blowing fuses if water got in there.

MickyMatter likes this.
  5. MickyMatter

MickyMatter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've cracked mine, left side of a 2008, too.
    I bought an used original part from a Toyota dealer.
    The assy comes without bulbs and without sockets (only with the brake LEDs).
    It's easy to change from inside the trunk.
    But I would recommend too, to check the electrics. While the right lights are on, the sockets of the left ones should have round about 12V (up to 13,4V to 13,8V in ready state). If not and if all fuses are okay, a new light assy wouldn't help you further.

Patrick Wong likes this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I replaced the right taillight assembly of my 2007 a year ago. I agree that since the light sockets for the tail, turn and backup lights are not included, replacing the taillight assembly will help the physical damage issue but does nothing with respect to whether those lights actually work.

If all lights are not working, then it is possible that the connection to ground has a fault.

MickyMatter likes this.