1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Gen 2 - replace blown JBL front speaker?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Metrolens, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2005 Gen 2 has a blown front driver's side JBL speaker. Can anyone advise best options?

1. Would an Infinity primus pr6500cs be a good replacement? Would I need to replace both front speakers for this to sound right, or could I leave the working JBL in the passenger side door?

2. I'm in LA - how much should the labor cost if a garage does the install?

2. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Answered my own question - I ordered a pair of JBL GT7-6, am going to install myself.

3. UberXking

UberXking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Try disconnecting both front door speakers. Then adjust the fader. Try it you’ll like it.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They look like 4ohm speakers, are the OEMs the same?

5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    for some idiot reason the oem speakers are 3 ohms. sometimes engineers have the common sense of a gnat. however, the jbl speaker surround is replaceable. that's usually what fails.

6. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I had two blown JBL speakers in my 2005. it took only a couple of minutes to repair the cones with a speaker epoxy i picked up off EBay for $5

7. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I successfully replaced the blown OEM JBL with the new GT7-6. I actually just left the other good OEM JBL installed in the passenger door, because it still works fine. I realize this mixes speaker impedances (4 ohm for the GT7-6, vs. 3 ohm for the OEM JBL), but it still sounds great, with half the work, and I'm not blasting the volume under any circumstances. It's not an audiophile setup for sure... but road noise kind of limits the upside there anyway.

SFO likes this.
  8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will put this here for reference: Prius JBL Audio system response, specs, and photos

Found some foam rebuild kits online :

jbl speaker repair kit | eBay (dual speaker kit)

JBL Speaker Repair Kits: How To Repair Foam Surrounds on JBL Woofers (single speaker kit)

Speaker Surround Refoam Kits in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 328

Refoam Kits 6" - 8" Archives - Speaker Exchange

Any have a clue which kit(s) would work/fit, or the speaker model # for the JBL 6.5 (16cm / 6.3 in ??) in the Gen 2?