1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 hatch back Prius driver power window stuck half way up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Judy Ruot-Jackson, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Judy Ruot-Jackson

Judy Ruot-Jackson New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It will go up a little and will go down a little but mostly driver's window is stuck about half way down. No accident involvement.

Window was up this morning and I moved it half way down. When I went to move it back up, it only moved a little. It was damp any chilly and rainy (still is and will be tomorrow), if that matters.

200,000+ mostly trouble free miles. Nothing like this before.
    As far as I know, auxiliary 12V battery has never been replaced, if that's possible.

The window doesn't quite look lined up properly, like it's off-track or something. It seems to be more stuck on the end of the window that is towards the front of the vehicle. Don't know how this happened since it's been parked for a few days.

I have searched the forums and found some tidbits like the information in the owner's manual about the "jam-protect" function power window reset function.
    The aux battery could be disconnected or on its' way out and could cause this.

Not sure what to try first. Afraid to try moving other windows for fear of them getting stuck as well.

Experience-wise, I have worked on my motorcycle (it gets the same mileage as the Prius! lol!) but never a battery powered vehicle. I have worked with electronics as well.

Any suggestions? or posts to read? ewe-toob vids? TIA

-J

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think your gonna have to pull the door panel and see what's what. the drivers window goes first because it gets used the most. the others are probably fine.

Judy Ruot-Jackson likes this.
  3. Judy Ruot-Jackson

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    TY, will do.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you may want to make a pre emptive strike on the 12 volt. if it is original, better to replace it now, before you get stranded somewhere. the early gen II's did have better quality 12v's, you didn't start hearing much about early 12v failure until the Gen III's came out. my '04 lasted 8 years and was still working fine except the sks was getting a bit dodgy and i had to push the buttons on the fob and slide it into the dash to start it.

5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    most likely the window regulator failed. I haven't replaced one in a prius but most cars the regulator is just held in with 6x1mm bolts; use a 10mm socket to remove. pull the door panel, there are instructions on this site and probably on youtube. if you remove the door panel and the vapor barrier plastic, you'll probably see a thin cable dangling and some bits of broken plastic in the bottom of the door. if it does need a regulator, install all the screws finger tight and try to get the window properly lined up before you tighten any of them the rest of the way.

as mentioned above, the drivers window gets used way more than the other windows, so the others are probably fine.

6. Judy Ruot-Jackson

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you all. Had the dealer fix it... regulator....

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. Judy Ruot-Jackson

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    lol, report? uh, went in for the repair of the busted window mechanism (they replaced the regulator and motor, supposedly), a free oil change and tire rotation: nearly $3000.00 later (I am not kidding....). This is one that I definitely should have done myself. Working on it outside in the winter cold (I am in CT), I chickened out. Well, yes, the window works now.

Rowie (what I call my black '05 4 dr. Prius), short for Rowen, has been very reliable and has 194,000 miles on it. She was purchased from and has always been serviced by the same dealer since I got her in 2006 with 18K miles. Never has anything like this happened before. Unfortunately, I wasn't the one that they said/did this to (as this is not my primary vehicle) they spoke with someone else (who is less knowledgeable about vehicles than I am). I had no reason to believe that this would be an issue. I thought they'd fix the window, change the oil and rotate the tires, like I asked/authorized when I dropped Rowie off in the early am.

Part of the free oil change is the "multi-point vehicle inspection" for repair or service issues.
    As a result of this, all of the following fixes (they said they were all "safety" issues) were authorized (not by me) to be done during the day while I was at work (it took 2 days total, actually):

Replace driver's window regulator and motor. 2.8 hrs. labor. $199.00 window regulator cost.
    note: I never did see the motor cost on the bill anywhere.

Rotate Tires (this should have been free): $15.95 was charged.

Was told tires weren't safe. authorized 2 new front wheel snow tires and 2 rear wheel all season tires.
    Note: They put all season tires on all 4 wheels and didn't put the snows on, even though that was asked for.
    When confronted about this, I was fed some line about not mixing up tires on any kind of vehicle.
    I let him know that I was 55 yrs old, have lived in New England all my life and whenever I have owned a front (or rear)wheel drive vehicle, I put snow tires on the drive wheels in the winter. doh! He refused to replace the 2 front all seasons with snows, even though that is what was asked for in the first and probably would cost us more (make them more money) anyway!

4 goodyear all season tires $356.00
    wheel weights $4.00
    alignment $99.00
    labor $80.00

Notice anything odd? Yes, they charged for the tire rotation (which was supposed to be free) which they performed on the old tires before the old tires were replaced with the new snow tires! When I asked him about this stunt, he said that the rotation had already been done before replacing the tires was authorized.

Coolant/antifreeze service. .9 hrs. labor. parts $73.54 (coolant and "cooling kit")
    Was told, "there was coolant all over the place under the hood"
    Um, then why wasn't there any puddle under the vehicle at any time? Also, I recently added windshield washer fluid and I would have noticed something like this.

Replace drive belts ("glazed") 1.2 hrs. labor belt $20.56

replace valve cover gasket (was told was leaking) 3.2 hrs parts 20.97 (gasket)

replace water pump (was told was leaking) 3.5 hrs labor parts $82.97 (water pump)

ac not working (this is true), replace condenser 4.8 hrs labor $165.00 part
    I was shown the old condenser and was told it had a hole in it. I was never shown the hole.

transmission fluid service "Replace transmission and torque converter of old worn out/dirty fluid." say what?
    labor $74.90 parts "flush" $125.00 haz. waste disposal $19.98

Totals: Parts $1043.34 Labor $1929.21 plus tax grand total $2877.76

Probably not going back there again and am definitely going to be dealing directly with anyone else who works on Rowie. I strongly feel that because the owner is a woman, they took advantage of her (lack of car knowledge) and preyed on her fears by saying that these were all safety issues, scaring her into authorizing that the repairs be done NOW!

The dealer is doing a lot of renovations. I think they are desperately looking for ways to pay for them.

I intend to talk to the service manager and owner. If I get an unsat. response from them, I'm hitting every review site that I can find and sharing this bs. Word of mouth.... spreading the word about the service dept. at this dealer and their shenanigans. This can be very damaging to their reputation and others need to be warned. We would not recommend that anyone buy or have their vehicle serviced by them. Having been on the other side of the coin (as a public service provider), and having been told that "customers" remember the negative stuff, I know how this works. At this point, I would gladly cost them customers and money.

I told the service "advisor" that he just lost the dealer a long term, loyal customer and that we weren't coming back.

Thoughts, anyone?
    off to bed

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  9. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hate to say it but you got taken.
    This is why I hate stealerships.

Since you paid that much, I'd advise you inspect the car carefully and make sure they at least gave you what you paid for. I wouldn't be shocked if they simply charged you for stuff they didn't even do.

Some of that stuff would be reasonable to expect to do (trans fluid, perhaps coolant, maybe oil pan gasket), but the prices are exorbitant. 3.5 hours to change a water pump? I'd ask him why he insisted on doing it with his eyes closed. Luscious has that as a 30 minute labor charge on her video.

And that tire rotation charge..that's just bad business there. So what if they did it before you authorized the tires. They should eat that just as a customer service feature.

Yeah, spread the word. Sorry you got taken. Seems it happens every day here.

10. Judy Ruot-Jackson

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I knew it was a clusterf*ck when I started hearing all the stuff they kept tacking on to the repairs... a huge red flag went up and I told the owner of the vehicle to say no and to tell them to stop but it was too little too late. Total ripoff. Stealerships is right. This place never did this to us before so we were blindsided. Never trust these places again. Forget it.
    I agree, I have done some research to uncover typical tech times to perform various repairs. I have also done some research on cost of various replacement parts (though I don't think that the ripoff was as bad as far as this goes). I plan on having plenty of backup should the service mgr and/or dealer owner decide they are willing to speak with me. This is not the end of this story.

11. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    also, you're not responsible for unauthorized repairs.

Judy Ruot-Jackson and PriusGuy32 like this.
  13. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    for starters, they shouldn't have charged 3.5 hours to do the water pump, its about the easiest water pump I've ever done. on top of that, the drive belt has to come off to do the pump, so there shouldn't have been any labor with the belt. also the coolant must be drained to do the water pump, so they shouldn't have charged you any labor on the coolant either. and what the hell is a coolant kit? that service writer and tech are a pair of thieves. if the service manager doesn't refund a minimum of 2.1 hours he is also a thief.

if there was a hole in the condenser, it was likely so small you couldn't have seen it without a magnifier, unless it got nailed by a rock or something obvious. I use green UV dye to detect a/c leaks; you might have seen a green stain on the condenser, but some folks use a "sniffer" which requires no dye.

Judy Ruot-Jackson likes this.
  14. Judy Ruot-Jackson

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you, shovlhed. I appreciate your shared wisdom. They said it (condenser) was probably hit by a rock but again, I saw nothing.