1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 HID Headlight Plug issue (plug looks burned or corroded)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ubertam, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Ubertam

Ubertam New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I had a bulb problem that started about 1.5 years ago. My passenger bulb went out. The dealer convinced me to replace both bulbs and charged $400 for it. No big deal. Bulbs go out.

4 months later, the passenger bulb went out again. I got it replaced under warranty and figured it was a fluke.

3 months later, the passenger bulb went out yet again. I got it replaced under warranty again.

3 months after that, it the passenger bulb went out AGAIN. It was nearing the end of the warranty and I realized the problem wasn't with the bulb anyway, so I didn't take it back in yet (it sucks to have to arrange for a ride and leave your car all day to go to work).

I decided I was going to do the work myself so I didn't have to pay another $400. I watched some youtube videos and bought Philips bulbs from Amazon ($50/ea) and went to replace both bulbs. I did it and it worked and I was thrilled. Only $100 and it was kinda fun to work on, anyway.

20 minutes later, the passenger bulb was out again. Crap.

If it's not the bulb, maybe it's the ballast. It's always the passenger side bulb, so that would make sense. I bought a new ballast from eBay and took out the entire headlight, plopped it on my dining room table, and replaced the ballast (way easier than I ever thought it would be) using a YouTube video for instruction.

That seemed to fix it. For a week. It went out again. Did I get a bad ballast? I asked the guy on eBay and he recommended that I try testing by moving the headlight to the other side and plugging it in. I did that yesterday and found that it worked on the driver's side. I moved it back to the passenger's side and it also worked. WTH?

That's when I examined the plugs. Ohhhhh. The plug is messed up. That explains why any time it would get unplugged and plugged back in, it would work for a short time. Simply unplugging it and plugging it back in fixes it temporarily. It's not a new bulb issue. Not a new ballast issue. It's the freaking plug.

Take a look at the picture below and tell me if you think it can be fixed. I just saw another thread where someone had a burned plug (hopefully worse than mine) and the dealer said it would be $4000 to replace the whole wiring harness. I am really really really hoping I can avoid that. Is there any way to replace the plug head or find a scrapyard wire that I can splice safely?

TL;DR: Can I fix this HID headlight connector seen in the picture?

[​IMG]

It looks like the left metal contact is lower than the right. If it's physically further away than it needs to be, it could arc when turned on, which could explain the darkening and loss of contact. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the help.

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A couple of similar headlight issues today. See the other post in this forum. Replacing the whole harness just because one headlight plug is bad? Unreasonable. See if you can get someone to sell you a plug and pigtail from a wreck, and splice it in with butt crimp connectors.

Not worth while trying to fiddle with the existing connector as it may be deformed from heat, IMHO. It might be possible to clean it up, but it's probably less work to splice in another one.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Make sure the prongs that go into the connectors on the ballast are not corroded before fitting the "new" connector,clean if required. Check the ballasts on both sides and add a little silicon grease to both before refitting to stop further corrosion.

4. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would do one of the following:
    1. Get a used connector, release the good terminal from the old housing and corresponding one from the replacement connector, slide the good terminal into the new housing and splice the other wire to your harness with some sort of waterproof connection.
    2. Purchase the housing new along with a new terminal, and do the same as above except for replacing the terminal as opposed to splicing.

It is hard to tell if both of the terminals are damaged or not. If they are, replace both.

Used should be easier to work with, however, if you can't get a hold of a used one, do not let the Toyota dealer parts department tell you the parts you need are not available separately.

5. Ubertam

Ubertam New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a reply from someone on Reddit, where I posted the same situation. I think I'm going to try to clean the connector. It was probably the dealer's fault.

6. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As you can see, the connector has changed color and housing has melted. Cleaning might help for a while, but I would imagine the problem will return.