1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 HID Hi Beams, and O-Ring problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LKasdorf, Nov 27, 2018.

1. LKasdorf

LKasdorf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, I know that HID headlights are an oft-discussed topic, but my particular experience still perplexes me.

I just got this car, and it failed inspection because the passenger headlight would not do brights. It was not clear to me, until today, how HID headlights go from low beam to high beam.

My passenger headlight was staying on as I flip to high beams, but its reflector was not moving- only the driver side. I went to the trouble of pulling out the bulb, (because I saw an Eric the Car Guy video where he had the same problem, and resolved it with a new bulb). Now that I understand how they work, I don't see a new bulb would have anything to do with the reflector not moving.

I got the bulb out using my frozen fingers, then tried flicking the lights from low to high, and to my surprise, the reflector moved! I put the bulb back in and the reflector still moved. All fixed. Maybe the bulb had been installed cockeyed and was impeding movement of the reflector. I don't understand what caused that passenger reflector to be stuck, but as long as it will pass inspection tomorrow, I'm happy. Heck, even if brights fail on one side, HIDs are bright enough, who need hi beams?

Oh- the other topic. The dang O-Ring on the big headlight cap seems to be too large. Try as I might, I can't get that cap on with the O-ring. So, for now, I pulled the O-ring off and put the cap on without it. I'll get through inspection and re-visit in warmer weather.

Maybe I should try boiling the O-ring, or wipe it with alcohol to shrink it. Or maybe I can buy a new one somewhere.

#1 LKasdorf, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    SFO likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ebay? salvage? camelback toyota?

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Something tells me wishful thinking on boiling or alcohol to shrink the o-ring.

New part or correct used part is the only correct solution.