1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 HV Battery Replacement - useful info and question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mark010101, Dec 20, 2015.

1. mark010101

mark010101 Mark 04, 05, 08 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have two Prii: a 2004 (170K miles) and a 2005 (108K miles). The 2004 has mainly highway miles (mine). The 2005 has mainly in town miles (short trips - my wife's).

The 2005 threw DTCs:
    • P0A80 - Replace Hybrid Battery Pack
    • P3020 - Battery Block 10 Becomes Weak
    • P3000 123 - Battery Control System (abnormal signal input from battery ECU -- HV battery system malfunction, high voltage system)
    To confirm the DTCs, I used Mini VCI to log the battery blocks in both the 2004 and the 2005. Clearly there is a problem with battery block 10 in the 2005. The graphs show both cars under hard acceleration and braking to stress the battery (snapshot, current). The 2005 charge / discharge was limited since the DTCs were set.

2004 battery graph:
    2004_battery.jpg - Google Drive

2005 battery graph:
    2005_battery.jpg - Google Drive

I called a local Toyota dealership and they said the battery failed prematurely due to the short trips (my wife works ~1 mile from the house). The battery is 2 years and 8K miles out of warranty.

Useful Information

I called around and browsed on the internet and found out the list price for a new Toyota GenII Prius battery is $2588.67. I also found out that the repair shop price is $2070.94. So the cost for the dealership is less than $2070.94. In my conversation with a dealership, the parts manager admitted that the repair shop price was pretty close to their cost. Using this information, I press the parts manager and he agreed to sell me a battery for $2200 and the shop manager agreed to install it for $120 if I removed all the interior panels to allow faster replacement.

The parts manager told me to wait until after January 1, 2016 to buy the battery because Toyota is extending their hybrid battery warranty to 3 years as of the first of the year. (I assume the warranty is not limited by mileage.)

If I go this route, before the battery is replaced I will ask the dealership service manager to call Toyota and see if they will help out with a "good will" warranty extension. I have read several posts here and understand the process.

Question
    I have read and seen Youtube videos about replacing individual cells/blocks in the hybrid battery. I read a number of posts here that suggest that this is equivalent to playing whack a mole. However given the 2005 battery is relatively young (heck my 2004 has 170K miles and is a year older and the battery seems fine), I was wondering if was worth the $70 to swap out battery block 10 in the 2005?

Since I have to wait til the beginning of the year to get a new battery from Toyota with a 3 year warranty, $70 seems a small price to pay to see if it can be fixed. With that said, my wife wants assurance that the car will not "light up like a Christmas tree" on her when she needs to take a road trip. So my other choice is to pony up $2200 + tax + $120 install to keep the peace. Thoughts or words of wisdom?

Thanks!

#1 mark010101, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    uart and bisco like this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very interesting info regarding the expected warranty length increase. Thanks for sharing that.

One possibility would be to swap batteries between the 2004 and 2005, then you perform your $70 repair experiments with the failed battery using your car, to get any latent bugs out before swapping the repaired battery back to your wife's car.

If your wife wants a high level of assurance regarding road trip issues, she needs to buy a new car. Even if you buy a new battery for her car, any other number of problems potentially could occur now that her car has logged more than 100K miles.

mark010101 likes this.
  3. kkeane

kkeane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are basically four sources for replacement batteries, and in the end, they are all more or less the same.

The actual batteries are, as far as I know, no longer manufactured. So *all* batteries, even from the Toyota dealer, are rebuilt.

The four sources are:

* Toyota - your price seems to be the going rate.
    * Aftermarket parts suppliers - I saw that Dorman sells them. You can order those through places like Napa Auto Parts or O'Reilly. I believe I saw it for around $2000, plus a $1000 core deposit that you get back when you return the old battery.
    * Specialized hybrid battery repair shops, rebuilding batteries from retired Priuses. Those seem to be available for $1100 (with a 12 month/12k miles warranty) to $1500 (with a 24 month/24k mile warranty).
    * Specialized hybrid battery repair shops, rebuilding your own battery. They'll test every cell, and replace only the bad ones. I've seen that for around $700.

Individual cells seem to go for around $25 (there are 28 cells in the battery pack).

Some of the hybrid repair shops seem to be fly-by-night operations, and I have seen some disappear, with their Web site being the only trace they ever existed. Others seem to be thriving and have been around for a long time.

A couple notes:
    - The warranty terms should give you a general idea of how trustworthy these batteries are - and that's true regardless of Toyota or aftermarket.
    - Your wife's short trips certainly contributed to the problem, and may even void the warranty on a replacement battery (I have seen a warranty that said you must drive the car for at least 30 minutes every other week).

I drive mostly highway, and my battery lasted for 300,000 miles (and was still going strong when the car died for other reasons).

You could solve this issue by alternating cars every week, so both cars get a regular highway workout.

If you can't do that, your wife might be better off with either a conventional car, or possibly an electric car. If you live in an area where it's available, you might also look into Zipcar or similar services. Since she only works one mile away, if health allows it, she may actually be better off with a bike, taxi, or similar.

mark010101 likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ^^^ this is incorrect ^^^ toyota batteries are new and still being manufactured. there is one clown here who insists they are not, but refuses to supply any proof. whereas, others have taken pics of the cell date codes.

thank you for the info on the three year warranty, that is a big change.(y)

there are methods posted on priuschat for rebuilding that result in something better than whack a mole, but they take time and attention to detail. that's how dorman can give a 3 year warranty, and why they are not cheap.

#4 bisco, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  5. kkeane

kkeane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    About a year ago, my Prius started showing symptoms of old age, and for a while I suspected the battery. At the time, I shopped around just to have an idea what I was in for, and I recall asking the Toyota dealer if the battery was new or remanufactured. That is where my information came from. I haven't been able to find conclusive information online. One piece of information: the Gen 2 batteries are apparently very similar, but not identical, to Gen 3 batteries. An interesting site here is: Toyota Prius Battery - Information on the history, specifications, modifications and future development of the hybrid's battery pack. (they include the early Japan-only models, and thus count their generations differently - what I call Generation 2, they call Generation III).

The other piece of information is that I found a battery refurbishing company (Rebuilt Toyota Prius Hybrid Battery Reconditioned and refurbished with NEW cells. - no endorsement, I never dealt with that company) that offers three different solutions: Toyota Gen2 battery pack with used Toyota Gen2 cells for $950, Toyota Gen2 battery pack with used Gen3 cells for $1350, and Toyota Gen2 battery pack rebuilt with new Toyota Gen3 cells for $2350.

That suggests that both statements may actually be correct: the Gen2 batteries and packs are no longer manufactured, but the Gen3 batteries, which still are manufactured, may be compatible enough.

It's probably best to actually ask at the dealer.

mark010101 likes this.
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is good for Toyota to extend to 3 years. Right now a lot of Prius owners are mistakenly going with lesser quality refurbished batteries from 3rd party vendors due to the vendors offering longer warranties.

The difference is the vendor batteries fail and Toyota's new batteries do not fail. I cannot think of a single post on Prius chat where a genuine Toyota replacement battery has failed (in the USA). There was reportedly one case in Israel when the guy's wife ran down the new Gen2 battery after she ran out of gas.

On the other hand, very often we are hear about fails of the rebuilt 3rd party batteries. Often times the vendor does honor the guarantee and provides another rebuilt battery, but most of us are busy and cannot bother with an unreliable battery all the time. We need to fix it and forget it, if possible.

stephane and mark010101 like this.
  7. mark010101

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    > You could solve this issue by alternating cars every week, so both cars get a regular highway workout.

This is an excellent idea though my wife was not thrilled since she likes her space to be her space.

8. jpr0930

jpr0930 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is pretty good news. Has anyone else been able to confirm this and the timing of 1/1/16? I am currently in the process of sorting out how to replace my failed HV battery on my 2007, being so close to the end of the year, this would come in handy. A call to the dealer might be in order.

Thanks for sharing mark16+4+1!

9. mark010101

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    According to the parts manager, Toyota has issued an internal memo about extending the warranty. He told me that they should have had a longer warranty on the battery to begin with. According to him, it is a brand new battery (the same one sold with the car when it was new) and it should last as long as the one it is replacing (in my case 10 years).

Since I need to remove all the 2005 interior trim to get to the battery (that is why they are only charging me a $120 install fee), I will be sure to clean and inspect the battery fan.

During my battery test (graphs in earlier thread), the battery temp (TB2) for the 2004 hit 104 F and the battery fan did not come on. So I will also clean and inspect the 2004 battery fan. The 2005 (the one with the bad battery) battery temp (TB1) hit 72 F. Of course the battery was limited on charge and discharge since the DTCs were set. Regardless, the 2005 battery fan was running full speed from the DTCs.

10. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Don't say toy
    Toyota don't say there rebuilt.the people here will hammer you like they did me.they don't want to believe the truth watch they will pile on.your post. Check my post

11. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Sorry bisco your wrong.

12. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Merry Xmas to all

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Mark. Thanks for the miniVCI data, that was quite interesting.

One thing that really stands out to me regarding the 2004 data is that, with the exception of the one obviously bad module (pair), just how nice and consistent the other modules look. I think that pack is definitely a good candidate for attempting a simple one module replacement repair.

As others have already mentioned, if your wife is overly worried about the situation, then consider swapping the packs between the two cars. Or even easier, swap cars with your wife for a few months until the repair has "proven" itself.

mark010101 likes this.
  14. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Summit auto dorman battery 1305 and 975 core included is shipping to you and return of core.36 month warranty unlimited miles total cost after return 1305

15. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Never heard that one before.

16. kkeane

kkeane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One interesting question here is how much longer you are planning to keep the car, and how you drive it. In my Prius, the battery lasted 300,000 miles, and the car eventually failed for other reasons. In such a car, it would probably make more sense to use a cheaper battery with a 1 year warranty, just to keep it going a bit longer. On the other hand, for the OP, a Toyota battery may make more sense because except for the battery, that car would still have a very long useful life ahead of it.

Well, first of all, there do seem to be quite a few fly-by-night operators in that market, but also some that seem to be surviving for a long time, thriving and expanding to multiple stores, which I take as a sign that they may be more reliable.

I'm wondering how much the failure rate really is. The tricky part about statistics is that you need to know what you are looking at. For instance, you may hear about failure of 3rd-party batteries but not about Toyota batteries, because few people buy the Toyota batteries at three times the price, so there simply aren't many out there that could fail.

Any idea how much the actual failure rate of 3rd party batteries really is? I can't imagine that it can be very high, or the warranty claims would kill the vendor in no time.

mark010101 likes this.
  17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I agree that there could be circumstances when a rebuilt battery makes sense. Often times it is quicker so you can get the car back on the road. Replacement at Toyota, especially if you want to bargain with Toyota HQ for a goodwill discount, can take a week or more. Of course, if you have good DIY skills you can fix it yourself.

Shucks no, we got no good data. That could be a good survey here on PriusChat, but that would only tell us what's going on with a few owners.

Anecdotally, we know Lucious Garage moved away from refurb batts several years ago due to reliability issues, and we have quite a few reports here of rebuilts going bad, often replaced under warranty. On the surface I'd say the rebuild vendors seem happy to honor their warranty multiple times.

mark010101 likes this.
  18. mark010101

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2005 is at the dealer now. They will attempt to get some form of a goodwill warranty extension. The details on the HV battery warranty extension from 1 to 3 years are: Toyota Warranty Policy and Procedures 4.11 (page 1, changes in red). I will let you know what happens with the warranty extension and HV battery install.

jpr0930 and wjtracy like this.
  19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Mark there is a lot of interest if the new Toyota replacement batt is really 3 yrs now. So far nobody else has heard that.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    where do we find the 'toyota warranty policy and procedures'?