1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Hybrid Battery Replacement Question Using Dealer Part

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by momoaz, Mar 6, 2018.

1. momoaz

momoaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi I ordered a replacement battery pack from my dealer here in Phoenix. Painless transaction for $1900. It arrives tomorrow but I am wondering if anyone out there bought a dealer part and did it themselves. I would like to know before bringing in my core what parts come with the replacement pack. According to the parts manual I have it looks like the BCM, fuse, cover, and "grip" need to come off and transferred. I just want to confirm with anyone who has bought one. I dont want to sit at the dealer and transfer parts like a dummy there if I can avoid it. Or worse come home missing a part.

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't add extra stress for yourself.

Just take the big box the new OEM HV Battery comes in, and swap (in/out) the requisite parts. You can take your time to do things correctly. Bring the core HV Battery back the following weekend.

Yeah, it would be nice not to come back, but you are in Phoenix, nearby Camelback (assuming this is the dealer you purchased from).

Hopefully you will be using a torque wrench to properly torque all nuts/bolts.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe the three system main relays and the current limiting resistor need to be moved as well.

Please identify the dealer that you are buying from and let us know how the experience went. In the event I need to buy a battery for my 2007 in the future (currently have logged 117K miles) I would like to know where in Phoenix to obtain one. (I'm not expecting either of the two Tucson dealers to offer discounted pricing.)

m.wynn likes this.
  4. momoaz

momoaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks exstudent. I forgot to say the dealer didnt charge me the core because they knew I was bringing in the core upon pickup so I saved a charge and then credit there for $1500. I am sure they wont let me take both without charging me again. Patrick I will update the purchase upon completion. If anyone here has in fact doen a dealer sway please chime in on what parts dont come with the core. I am guessing the battery interconnects and everything else inside is replaced because of beautiful blue/green patina that will certainly be on the interconnects from 10 years of outgassing.

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are definitely adding more unnecessary stress to your transaction.

If you plan on turning in your car at the time of picking up you will need to have your pack disassembled and left partially opened, metal cover off. End cap removed.

There are certain things you will want to do to prepare the core before putting in the box. For example putting the 2 brown non-conductive mats over the modules and then installing the metal cover. Also have your VIN and current odometer reading ready to affix to the core, for warranty purposes.

You have an inch-pound torque wrench, right? Post a pic of it here. You want to have it properly set for the terminal and contactor nuts. Only use the 6 new nuts that come with, do not reuse the old ones.

Wrap the connector wires on the core with the bag from the new pack, so that they are protected.

I do these swaps regularly. You'll figure it out eventually.

But give some serious thought about just bringing the new battery home and swapping the parts in an unhurried, low pressure manner.

SFO, jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @ericbecky has installed new Toyota batteries. He likely has hints to make the task easier. He has encouraged people to call him with questions. Just look at any of his postings for the phone number.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. momoaz

momoaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I didn't plan on turning in the core at time of pickup but they didn't charge me the core charge upfront. They added the extra stress not me:)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pay for the core charge, bring everything home and transfer the ecu and relays. After everything is installed, bring back the core

m.wynn, jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just tell them you are unable to bring the core in at the time of purchase.
    Pay the core fee.

You might be able to take the new pack and all the pieces out of their box and leave the box at dealer (it is big). This can save you some space
    Alternately the Toyota shipping container can be broken down quite easily if you are short on space. (Like when I used to use a 2-seater Honda Insight for picking up batteries. )
    Feel free to call me for other ideas. Happy to help.

And I am going to ask again: Do you have an inch-pound torque wrench?

Prodigyplace and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. momoaz

momoaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Im sorry for the misunderstanding here. I can offer to pay for the core and bring it back or take both packs to my office and swap the parts and take it back and hour later. I simply wanted to know if after removing the pack the next step in the manual HB-93 HV Battery Disassembly had to be completed moving the BCM, contactors, bleed resistor etc or if it came with the pack. I have no problem moving those parts I would have liked to have it ready in its core state when going over. To ericbecky, yes I have a torque wrench even a small one. Though its not documented in the manual as I can find under the replacement portion (it might be under specs on another page) I seem to recall 8mm nuts are 8-12 ft lbs which translates to about 120 in lbs. See when I rescued two EV1s and 117 S-10 EVs from GM in the early 2000s, I redsigned 13 reliability upgrades for the defunct trucks. One was a NiMH upgrade pack and I found that with the GM packs in the early days the BPCM was profiled to the battery pack and moved with the pack to save programming and profiling in the field. I am sure they have moved past that jurassic system and just wondered if the pack came complete or not. I did individual cells in mine once already but since its may sit in the garage 3 months at a time without exercise, I thinks its time to replace it with all new cells.

SFO likes this.
  11. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New Toyota packs are missing quite a few things. Not just the computer end of things. It is missing other parts as well; tubes, plastic parts, etc
    You don't want to send back your core until you are sure you have all the bits and pieces.

Once you see the new pack and open it up you will have a better idea. But it is easy to miss the small stuff. It's easier to have you core handy so that as you assemble the new pack you can be sure you have everything. Having to run back to the dealer to retrieve something will slow you down.

The torque wrench you have will not work it will snap the bolts even at the lowest setting.

You need one that can do under 50 inch pounds.

12. momoaz

momoaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My torque wrench is 1/4 drive 20-200 inch lbs. What torque setting so you recommend?

13. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry. I misread. I thought you only had a wrench that only went down to 120 inch pounds. That would have been too much.
    You will be fine with 1/4in drive 20 -200 inch pound wrench.
    Service manual will have the specs. Else get a day pass to TIS and print the appropriate procedure/diagram.

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.