1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 in LIMP mode. But is this the Hybrid battery or the inverter cooling pump?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hbbird, Jun 9, 2023.

1. hbbird

hbbird Junior Member

I am the original owner of a 2005 Prius with 140,000 miles on it. I live about 50 miles via high speed (75) highway and drove home from the dealership yesterday in LIMP mode. See images of warnings and Energy Monitor) The dealership could not take it in to run a check on it and had no rental cars. I made it home, but don't want to do that again (all the BIG trucks, going really fast). This morning I ran the Prius self test and got some findings but can't find anything about how to interpret those findings. I also tried to check the cooling pump. It kind of seems that the tubing is vibrating, but I'm not sure. I don't have any gizmos to do a thorough analysis. My tentative plan is to use one of the battery replacement companies (like Green Bean or Green Tec) to come here and replace the hybrid battery, but only if necessary. Yes, this is an almost 18 year old Prius, but it has been well cared for and I just put $4,000 into replacing the brake actuator and a few other things 8 months ago. I need to keep this Prius running for about a year and will probably buy a new electric vehicle next year. Can anyone help me with these two self check codes and/or recommend the easiest inexpensive diagnostic tool to buy? I would really like an instrument that checks the individual hybrid battery cells.
    Here are the self test results: Battery 14.3V, Hybrid battery 13.8 V (if this is an accurate test).
    EMV OK
    NAVI CHEK
    AUDIO CHEK
    G/W OK
    OSP/AMP OK

Attached Files:

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The problem on your drive home was that the hybrid system was shut down... Had you a simple device that costs less than $20 to plug into the car's OBD2 port: ( Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus ) you could use a phone app like Dr. Prius App to keep the car out of limp mode, as well as read the error codes so you can fix you car yourself and not get robbed for an amount greater than the value of the car from the Toyota Stealership.

PriusChat will teach you or a friend or family member everything you need to know to get your car fixed in an affordable way. And if you don't want to learn or don't have someone to help let us know what region you live in and someone on here who lives in the area will likely be able to help.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    People often discover those self-check screens on the infotainment system and get excited thinking they will help diagnose a car problem. They won't; they are only for infotainment system problems.

The quickest, surest way to find out why your car is going into limp mode is indeed to ask it, but in order to ask it that, you do need to have a scan tool to plug in to the diagnostic port under the dash. Here is a thread that reviews a number of options:

Gen2 OBD2 app review | PriusChat

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But you gotta admit ever since the internet and video games came along people's primary problems in life are mostly infotainment oriented. :)

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    More than likely you're inverter pump is crapped out put the car in ready mode if that's possible just do it get out of the car and look behind the left headlight you'll see two three quarter inch black hoses a gold bracket if you're looking down with a flashlight and a black or gray flat silly looking thing that's called the pancake pump It doesn't look like a pump at all but that's what that is that thing should be vibrating and moving water if you put your hand on it it should sound like something is spinning inside of it a whirring noise if you will felt through your hand at the same time if you use your other hand and you take the lid off of the jug that should have pink colored fluid in it that's right next to the silver lid that says whatever it says on it hybrid synergy drive or something when you take The lid off that container you should see the pink fluid move across the jug It may not be moving like a waterfall but it should be moving your flashlight should show you that the water is moving If it's not and the pump isn't vibrating that's why the red turtle or car is showing on your multifunction display as soon as you replace that pump the MFD will turn that car green And you'll be rolling more than likely those quick checks you can do in a matter of seconds

6. hbbird

hbbird Junior Member

I hope you are right. I have ordered an Infocar gizmo to arrive Tuesday and I intend to read the codes. I figured for the price of this inexpensive OB2 scanner I can avoid a trip to Toyota for a diagnosis. Hopefully this will read the voltages on individual cells. I’ve got 140,000 miles and almost 18 years on the original battery. I think that’s pretty good.

Thank you, by the way for further guidance on checking the health of the inverter pump.

#6 hbbird, Jun 11, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2023
  7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I read up on Infocar- the adcopy says it's an OBD2 scanner, so it mostly ECM (engine computer) data and functions.

I don't see anything about enhanced diagnostic capabilities (ie, the ability to scan other vehicle systems besides the ECM). Just see that "extended data" is not supported.

For a few bucks more you could have gotten something like the Autel listed in the app review thread- which is much more capable.

Good luck with that.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. hbbird

hbbird Junior Member

I followed a link in Prius Chat that said the other gizmos were crap. This project may end up taking me longer than I expected. Oh well, this is what it is like to be without my trusty Prius. I can run it down the road on LIMP mode if absolutely necessary.

9. hbbird

hbbird Junior Member

I went through 4 possible battery installers to find one that can install this week. I talked to Hybrids2Go (phoenix guy is very personable, but couldn't get battery until the end of the month). Green Bean. Very disappointed in their website. The link to the service agreement didn't work and then their handy little chatbot sent me two more links that didn't work. They require a $375 deposit up front and you have to sign their service agreement before you can make an appointment. Their earliest install was 6/20, but I needed to check back on 6/19 to be sure the battery really came in. Because of their website and all these uncertainties, as well as things that made me nervous in the service agreement I was very hesitant to hire them. Tucson Hybrids don't do mobile installations. Called Green Tec Auto this morning. Very nice, straightforward. I requested a call with the mechanic before deciding and that was quickly facilitated. Talking to the mechanic really helps. They have three options: battery with all new cells, 3 year warrantee, refurbished with 2 year warrantee and refurbished with 1 year warrantee, they did not have the new cells battery in stock, but they had the two year warrantee battery, which was my choice. Additionally, they can install it in two days. So my choice here in Arizona: GreenTec Auto.Hybrid Battery Replacement | Honda & Toyota Hybrid High Voltage Batteries (greentecauto.com)

bisco likes this.
  10. hbbird

hbbird Junior Member

I also ran Dr. Prius with my INFOCAR Smart Scanner OB2 reader this morning and Dr. Prius gives you a lot of information!! I could figure out what this all means, but input from you would be greatly appreciated. Dr. Prius says my 18 year old battery is in FAIR condition, but I'm going to replace it anyway.
    Prius DX 6-14-23.PNG I just noticed I might have run this in DEMO mode. Stay tuned for a real reading.

11. hbbird

hbbird Junior Member

Even though the InfoCar was recommended by the Dr. Prius site, they told me that it only does basic measurements and recommend the VEEPEAK OBDCheck BLE for more complex measurements instead. It did give me the code for bad battery, so I am replacing the big battery anyway.

#11 hbbird, Jun 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  12. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The link in post #2 is only for the Dr Prius app - which is handy for monitoring HV battery but otherwise is very limited.

The link in post #3 covers several scantool options, including some that can scan all systems on a Gen2.

What codes did you find with Dr Prius?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.