1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius—Anticipated Maintenance Costs?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Maria marinos, May 26, 2018.

1. Maria marinos

Maria marinos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i love my 2005 Prius. I’m the original owner, 188,000 miles, with no major maintenance issues until recently. The hybrid battery died two mos ago, so replaced it with a new one at a cost of $2800. My car is like an old friend and it looks great. I don’t want to sell it, but I’m concerned about increasing maintenance costs.

Any advice about when to sell it?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You just got a new battery, I wouldn't think of selling it unless another major repair comes up. You'll most likely be dealing with small stuff like inverter pump failure. $500 here and there repairs.

I'd say if the repair reaches near $3000 again, then it's time to sell

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly, with a new battery, you should be good to go for a long time without any more major repairs. Now thats not to say any thing else will come up.. But I'd just make sure to check oil, change both coolants, make sure both cabin and engine air filters are good. These older Prii are tanks!

bisco likes this.
  4. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You might also want to look into changing the transaxle fluid. Its easy to change and only takes 4 qts of Toyota WS transmission fuild.