1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius 12V Battery Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Princess9483, Feb 16, 2014.

1. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I just had a huge epiphany!! :eek:

At work earlier, I noticed the battery was at 12.3v so I had nothing better to do, I hooked it up to 2am slow charge on the AGM setting on my battery charger.... after the charge, it was up at 13.4v and stayed there (y)
    At this point, my SKS key FOB was hundreds of feet away. So the car was asleep. It had been sitting for hours without my going near it or driving it... .

HOWEVER, at home, I keep my spare SKS key fob in my bedroom (in case I forget to lock the doors, I can just press the Lock button) which is like 20' from my Prius - right at the wall next to the car.

Could the key fob being in such proximity to the Prius be keeping it from going to SLEEP and running down my battery a little over night?? I would feel like such a toolbox if that was the case....

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Could the key fob being in such proximity to the Prius be keeping it from going to SLEEP and running down my battery a little over night??"
    Yes, you might put the fob into a metal container or wrap it in aluminum foil, if it is necessary to keep it in the bedroom.

3. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Seriously? Sonofa$*!@# lol. Maybe this is the reason Im always banging my head against the wall because my 12v batteries dip under 12.2v over night! Ive had the key in the same spot since I bought the car, and I even replaced the battery in the FOB, which probably made it work at its peak range.

I will try wrapping it in foil tonight. Too funny (and just my luck). :confused: Glad I thought of it though - I was just sitting here marveling over my Prius and how "smart" it is when I had that AH HA moment.

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Test your foil wrap process by taking the wrapped fob out to the Prius to make sure that you cannot lock/unlock the doors, with the fob nearby. You need sufficient overlap on the foil so that no RF energy can penetrate the foil wrap.

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Gotta love these epiphany moments, hehe :LOL:
    I know the solution sounds a bit "tin foil hat"-ish, but I think it will work. (y)

I don't have the sks option on my Prius so I have no personal experience with this, so can someone tell me what is the approximate range of the smart key? I would have thought a lot of people could potentially be in the same situation.

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Smart fob will attempt to maintain communications with the Prius at around a distance of 15 feet or so.

The Smart fob needs to be within a few feet of a Smart receiver for the car to allow the door/hatch near that receiver to unlock or lock.

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Interesting. I wonder if being just on the edge of its comms range could be even worse then being in constant communication? I mean if connection frequently dropped out and reconnected throughout the day, possibly it could keep waking it and make it more power hungry.

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, a reasonable possibility.

9. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You didn't watch the battery voltage long enough.
    A 13.4 reading is from "surface charge" and will bleed off fairly quickly.....like within an hour.....down to
    the real resting voltage that will be something between 12.4 and 12.8.

My manual says the FOB has to be within 2.x feet to be activated and recognized.
    20' should be plenty to NOT be recognized.
    My FOB has a tiny red light that flashes when you are close enough.

Note that pushing the buttons of the FOB will work a LOT farther away than 3 feet......but that is a different function.

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a difference between the fob distance required for the car to unlock a door; vs. the difference required for the fob to establish communications with the car. The latter results in increased current drain by the Prius ECUs although there is no apparent change in behavior when viewed by the casual observer.

PriusGuy32 likes this.