1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius 250,000 K Master Warning Light, VSC, (!)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Marcy, May 27, 2013.

1. Marcy

Marcy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Have had my Prius since 2006 when it only had 15K miles on it. Had it's "brain" replaced April 2012, recently had plugs coil, intermittent repairs ("serpentine belt" preventatively replace @ 165K; fuel pump then, minor repairs, regular oil changes). Recently was advised that brake work was needed.

I noticed a teeny little hesitation in the acceleration this past week - every so slight - then today, while driving normal speed Master Warning light, Check Engine, VSC, and (!) lights came on. Limped home - felt under powered and possibly under non-power brakes -

I live 35 miles from dealer, wanting to see what I can do before turning it over to them, assuming I can limp it to their service bay.

I looked at disconnecting aux battery terminal, then reconnecting, but wonder if others had recommendation. I do not want to tow it to dealer - I want it to just get better soon after resting.

Welcome any advice -

Marcy in Georgia

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Open the hood and make the Prius READY. Look at the inverter coolant reservoir.

Do you see fluid turbulence? If no, the inverter coolant pump has failed and that is the root of your car's problems.

If the pump has failed I would not suggest trying to drive 35 miles in hot weather. That might cause the inverter itself to fail.