1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius 45,000 Miles and P0A80 error!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sp78, Apr 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What gets me is how they are still quoting $2828 for a part that now costs $1625. Are there different prices across the US?

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dealer's can charge whatever they want for the part.
    Not sure how much difference there is between dealer's in their acquisition price.

I'd be curious to see if the price can be haggled down a bit. $2828 is a bit high for the part alone.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand that, but $1203 markup on a $1625 part seems a little excessive. Unless they don't buy at $1625.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    While it seems high, that margin is not uncommon for other parts bought at a dealer. I had to swap out the front wheel bearing hub assembly on our 2010 and they wanted over $330 for each assembly :cool:.

Bought one Dura Go off of rock auto for $85 and a Moog off of auto zone for $165:).

But I’m this instance there are very few additional options which makes this more difficult :(.

Calling around to other dealers for quotes would be what I do in this case for the best price, then see if the closest dealer to you will price match (y).

AutumnWynn likes this.
  5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Not making excuses for gross dealer pricing but this could be a simple case of online sites not being routinely updated.

I worked in a couple of parts departments back in the old days (cough) as a kid and once a year we'd get a new pricing book from corporate with a listing of dealer cost and several tables of varying suggested rates up to MSRP. The other, lower rates were for long time repeat customers, independent shops, other local dealers who needed something quick, etc.

6. Roger M

Roger M New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

7. Roger M

Roger M New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Two days ago my 2006 Prius with only 101,000 mi. displayed an array of warnings which the dealer diagnosed with the dreaded P0A80 code for $140. He informed me there were no new factory hybrid batteries available in the US at this time. After some online research I found three prices for Gen 2 batteries. Rebuilt OEM's $1050, Rebuilt Gen 3 that fit Gen 2's $1550, New modules in Gen2 case, $2350 at Green Tec Auto. They also have locations in the most populous areas that do home installation for $350 in this area. The nearest in your area is Bowie, Md. I went with the least expensive with tax $1540 installed, well under $3000. I saw cheaper rebuilders and others who just replaced faulty modules and rebalanced, but I'm 69 and wanted installation done. Hope not too late to help you. My conclusion is the batteries age is more a factor than the mileage, since mine is 12/YO.

AutumnWynn likes this.
  8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    None of those options are good, rebuilds are pretty much a crap shoot and we don't recommend them if you are looking for a long term trouble free solution. Most these days don't seem to do 1 to 2 years, if that.

The old adage, in this case, is quite true – you get what you pay for.

I hope your situation is the exception to the rule, and a lot here are always interested to hear the outcome of these situations. If you are so inclined, pop back from time to time and let the community know how your rebuilt battery is going.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Roger M

Roger M New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I continued to research options online and found a system to recondition hybrid batteries by fully charging to balance the modules then deep discharging to erase charge memory common in all rechargeable batteries. This makes sense to me and if done regularly is claimed to greatly extend battery life. Battery is left in car and harness stays in place for future recharges. They have a shop a few miles from here that also cleans cooling fan and wiring harness, along with replacing modules if defective after reconditioning. Also sell rebuilt and new batteries. Put a $500 deposit on the replacement before I found this system, so am thinking in the future will try the Hybrid Automotive system.

AutumnWynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. AutumnWynn

AutumnWynn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Service advisor informed me that they only work with new batteries. From what I described, do you guys think I should try to drive the car, or just get it towed to the place I’ll be getting the work done?

11. len

len Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I won't keep jumping in on these threads - but I have had very initial good luck with a refurbished battery for about half the price of a new one (installed at your home). I am in Williamsburg, VA and I used Green Bean Battery - they charge just over $1500 and give a full 5 year warranty. Prius Hybrid Repair out of Annapolis MD is another option They charge $1500 for an 18 month warranty.

If you can't get the dealer to give you a break these may be worth a try. Good luck!

AutumnWynn likes this.
  12. Sp78

Sp78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi folks, issue resolved. The good guys at Toyota helped me out. I paid $1400 for the replacement battery. Rest was covered by Toyota. Dealership was "slimey" (to say the least) and I will give them a fair but firm feedback. They quoted me $3300+ which turns out was complete BS! In addition to poor service, the service manager had the balls to personally request for a positive feedback when I picked up the car. There is no place for morals and humanity in today's age. As for Toyota, I will definitely get a new prius when this one leaves us. I very much doubt if I will step into this VA dealership again! Thanks all for your guidance and attention. All the best!

#32 Sp78, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    fotomoto and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  13. Sp78

Sp78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hello sir, just saw this , battery replacement does not cost $3k for a second generation prius. I confirmed it with the corporate folks. Its outrageous how much lying and cheating happens on something as defined and packaged as a battery. Anycase glad my issue got resolved - checkout my last post..

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    $3,300. is not bs, i'm not sure what you are talking about. not that i'm defending dealers, but they are free to charge whatever they want. we have seen installed prices from the low $2,000.'s to the low $4,000.'s around the country.

what did the corporate folks tell you?

15. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $3,300 is not far off from many recent quotes I've heard from dealerships.

Remember, Toyota Corporate is completely separate from your local dealer.

The dealer sets its own cost/price for battery replacement. In this case you said you were told it was $3,300.

If a separate entity, such as a friend or relative, or even Toyota Corporate, decides to pay for a portion of the price, then that is totally up to them.

That in itself does not make the dealer slimey.

16. Sp78

Sp78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Friends, I would refrain from making comments in an "open forum" but as a law student I think i know the options and grounds of such act well. Do not trust the dealerships blindy, do not "give in" or ignore the lies as mere business practice or culture or company structure or a anything else. If it's a zoo, put some rules to make it a circus atleast..God bless all!

bisco likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    iow, you have no clue.:p

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much did corporate say that battery replacement costs for a gen 2 prius?

19. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sure the customer care representative at corporate would have no idea what the local labor rate was at the dealership.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Longinus876

Longinus876 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What fool thinks he gets what he pays for??? That's very funny.