1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius air bag light illuminated after vacuuming under front seats

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Priusyipee, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I changed out the blower fan this morning as the a/c was weak and at times, the fan could not get going without manually spinning the blades to get it started. Easy project and now the fan has much more power. Decided to vacuum out the car after I was done which only took about 10 minutes. I know that I had disturbed the wiring under the front seats by brushing up against it with the vacuum tool while trying get under the seat. This is not the first time that this has happened... I checked all the connections. Should the 'problem' clear itself after 3 restarts? Car now has 244,882 mi.

#1 Priusyipee, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The airbag wiring is usually yellow, look for that wire under the seat and make sure the connector is tight. I don't think restarting 3 times will have any effect as you could've done that before posting.

Priusyipee likes this.
  3. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the heads up. I will go out and recheck all the connections. I have had an issue with this car since 2011. I randomly get the CEL, air bag or both illuminating. Car runs fine, I check all fluids, connections and fuses. Car performs as it should. Lights eventually disappear on their own. Strange quirk. No codes the last few times this happened with the CEL. :eek:

4. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey... it's out and all is well. I did notice that the air bag wire is not securely attached to the seat's underside as the clip had broken off. This is possibly due to items that are placed on the floor of the passenger side sliding and getting caught under the seat. While the connector was securely attached, I did firmly push the harness wires into the connectors from each side. Now I know where the problem lies and I will most likely secure them with electrical tape and zip tie the connector up and off the floor.

Thanks again! I've saved thousands of dollars over my 10 year Prius ownership with the help of everyone here!