1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Backup Camera Install help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by UGC, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Edward_D

Edward_D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys, I just installed a perfectly working factory looking backup camera on my 05 prius. I purchased the Naviks for $179 on sale and the Sony Camera for $19.50. Also have the option to run an external video source to watch movies on the screen. My car came equipped with factory JBL, Bluetooth, and Navigation, so I'm not sure if it will work with other vehicles with lesser options so please don't ask. Links below is what I bought. It only took me about 2 hours to install, but I do have car audio experience. It was fairly easy no wires to cut, just splice into. I ran the cables through the washer hose side, and pulled the hose back through by inserting a screwdriver into the hose and guiding it back through. The video ran across the top driver side down the drivers door, and under the seat. Power source for camera was left rear reverse light in which a relay was needed for a cleaner power source due to the camera having an issue with the power there. I pulled the power from the battery in the back right, and placed a 1amp fuse to a relay. The power for the Naviks was pulled right off the Navigation unit under the seat. For audio you can use the GTA car kit for $99 free ship, and use it with your iphone. Total cost all in all was $300 not including what someone would charge you to install it. This is an awesome feature to have, and makes the vehicle just like the newer models, and places value on it as well. Good Luck!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Toyota Prius 2001 2005 Nav TV Navigation Video Interface | eBay

Sony CCD Chip Rear View Reverse Backup Camera for Toyota Camry Prius Aurion | eBay

Justdidit likes this.
  2. alexaxis

alexaxis New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i just installed an aftmkt bkup camera on my 08 Prius before Xmas.not with the Mfd but with a back view mirror asmthe display works perfect fine for me now.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    for those of you with the jbl system... doesn't the amp have a blue plug that accepts an ntsc camera input... therefore it's already waiting for a signal? (read about this a few years ago... seems most if not all topics on this are pretty much dead)

kenoarto likes this.
  4. iconoscope

iconoscope Junior Member

I went for the Naviks box in my '05 Prius and had it and the camera professionally installed. Problem is, the damn thing doesn't work! When I back up, there's an intermittent picture out of the backup camera but a green screen on the nav system most of the time. We replaced the Naviks box and the problem continued. Of course, the people at Naviks say it's the installer's fault and the installer says he's got 15 years experience with auto electronics, that he did everything correctly, and that I should take it up with Naviks. I wonder if anyone else has run into this problem.

5. Edward_D

Edward_D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try another camera on the video input, or you can even plug in another video source such as a dvd player.

6. First_Time_prius_owner

First_Time_prius_owner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This looks like an older thread but really like this setup! did you have to change out the rear view mirror or is this an overlay on top of that? would be great to get links for the gentex mirror with the screen. I am inspired to do this in my gen2 now

7. MllePri

MllePri New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Can you share how it looks inside regarding the monitor?