1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius beeps when door is open, then won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jaichim24, Jan 23, 2011.

1. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just for grins, would you please post the voltage's you see when you run the standard test that is referred to here?

Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat

I too recently changed our battery and went with the OEM like you did. I used a little grease to hold the screw in the socket after fighting it for ten minutes with my bare hands.

Ron

2. migelito

migelito Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sure. I took a reading right after installing the battery (first of the three readings) and it indicated 12.5V; did another one after the engine started and read 13.8V (I think).

Are you getting a different reading?

Before installing the OEM battery, I measured the voltage with a multimeter and got a reading of 12.9V. I just did a reading of the old one after being out of use for ~4 hours and it read 10.7V. I'm curious to know for how long it would have continued working with the smart key disabled, but I decided to be practical and replaced it (smart key is very nice, and scientific curiosity is not enough).

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Like yourself, I checked ours with a digital voltmeter. It read 13.0 volts straight out of the box.

Once I installed it, I ran the test.

I got 12.6 12.3 and 14.0

In reference to your old one, it probably would have worked for a while longer with the SKS turned off, but I am guessing you were also seeing the triangle with explanation point when you were starting up the Prius. When our old one was taken out, it was reading 11.9 11.5 and 14.0 IIRC. The temperature was also bitter cold which makes things worse. It had been weak for quite some time, and when the triangle came on I knew then it was time to take action.

Ron

4. migelito

migelito Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hmmm. For how long was the triangle with explanation point lit for you? For me, it was just for about a second when turning on the car, which I might have gotten used to and thought it was normal.

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Same as yours, just for a moment. The light comes on whenever the voltage drops below 11.0 volts when booting up the electronics. There is a momentary surge where more juice is required, then after that the voltage will settle down. If you run the test with the MFD, you can see it when you go from accessory to ign-on.

Ron