1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius -BLACK-

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tylerw, May 2, 2005.

1. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've heard the different packages are the ones regions normally get. Supposedly, if you're willing to have one "specially ordered" they will get you a package not normally available in the region, but at a longer wait. Of course Package #6 seems to be available in all regions!

This is only what I've heard from this forum, I really wanted Package #6 and wouldn't take anything else. Actually, I'd really like to custom order and pick and choose my options, but I guess it doesn't work that way for import. :(

2. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gschoen\";p=\"87056)</div>
    I want Package #6 only also and am willing to wait longer for it.

Imports have always been like that. I remember ordering some of my past GM vehicles that the customization options were a 2 page list of yes/no questions with a bunch of "if this, then you can't have that" or pre-requisite "to get this you must have that" qualifiers. It's actually far cheaper to just standardize most of these features, especially anything that can't practically be a dealer add on, into a few packages. Yes, you may end up with some features you might not really want and never use, but in the long run, you end up paying less for what you do want.

This is the simplest vehicle I've ever specified. #6, Tideland Pearl. That's it! The factory doesn't have to get all caught up in making "my" specific car, then shipping it to me...there are only so many permutations of package and color combinations, and the rest is all dealer-added options. There are only 6 packages (only 4 show up for Connecticut on www.toyota.com), 7 exterior color choices of which, only white or black have optional interior color choices, so there are 9 color combinations. Therefore,the permutations that the factory makes is 6 X 9 = 54. Of these, apparently there are only 36 permutations that are configurable for Connecticut.

3. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

timeless black. really does look damn good on the Prius. 8)

4. precious1

precious1 New Member

I purchased at Symes Toyota in Pasadena, CA.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(reesdude\";p=\"86666)</div>
    That is some very good negotiating you did. Great deal you got... When did you purchase your prius?

I checked the website you have linked, and I do not see a black exterior color option available either...
    [/b][/quote]

5. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

Black with grey/burgundy was my first choice and that is what I got. I actually see alot of black Prii around here. Actually there is someone who lives a block over form me that has a black one. Also about one month after I got mine a coworker liked it so much he got one too, in black of course.

I really like the contrast between the tail lights and the black paint.

6. dontcheff

dontcheff New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DawnMarie\";p=\"87016)</div>
    My wife (who is an interior designer) claims that black with ivory interior is most stylish (from all alternatives). I had to trust her on that one :)

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse\";p=\"87059)</div>

Imports have always been like that. I remember ordering some of my past GM vehicles that the customization options were a 2 page list of yes/no questions with a bunch of "if this, then you can't have that" or pre-requisite "to get this you must have that" qualifiers. It's actually far cheaper to just standardize most of these features, especially anything that can't practically be a dealer add on, into a few packages. Yes, you may end up with some features you might not really want and never use, but in the long run, you end up paying less for what you do want.

This is the simplest vehicle I've ever specified. #6, Tideland Pearl. That's it! The factory doesn't have to get all caught up in making "my" specific car, then shipping it to me...there are only so many permutations of package and color combinations, and the rest is all dealer-added options. There are only 6 packages (only 4 show up for Connecticut on www.toyota.com), 7 exterior color choices of which, only white or black have optional interior color choices, so there are 9 color combinations. Therefore,the permutations that the factory makes is 6 X 9 = 54. Of these, apparently there are only 36 permutations that are configurable for Connecticut.
    [/b][/quote]

How many of us are glad we got options that we otherwise would not have gotten if we could chose them ala-carte? I know I am.

8. tylerw

tylerw New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse\";p=\"87059)</div>

[/b][/quote]

I suspect the missing Package #4 (AM) in Connecticut and the missing black exterior color in Utah are glitches in the website, rather than well-thought out business decisions.

9. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"87127)</div>
    The Homelink mirror, I guess would be an example for me; glad to have it, but would never pay hundreds for such a thing. Maybe the alarm too. I wanted bluetooth, sks, and side bags, but pkg6 gave me NAV, which I don't care about but is worth the dough, and the foglights (worthless), rear wiper (worthless), upgraded stereo (almost worthless).
    rob

10. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tylerw\";p=\"87473)</div>
    Perhaps that's all, but the missing #4 in Connecticut has been that way all along as I've always used Option Combination "D" (in 2005 model year anyway) to configure a #6 BC.

I do think there are zip code based configuration conditions as to what comes up otherwise, why ask for it?

11. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I checked with a couple of the dealerships that I'm working with, and they confirmed that they never get and cannot specify Packages #2 and #4 which corresponds to the restrictions encountered when configuring a Prius on the Toyota website.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I imagine it's a regional thing. I know SE Toyota has their own rules and I'm sure other regional distributors have theirs. It may be a profit thing too. Who knows? I have one of the very few black Prii around here. They have a lot of driftwoods sitting on the lot where hubby works. Ten or 12 from what I remember.

I'm happy I got black and not seaside. I see too many around here. No offense to the seaside lovers out there. I like being unique. :)

And there really is nothing like a new shiny black car. Mmmmmm shiny black.

For those of you with the ivory interior, I just ordered front seat covers for mine from toyotapartsstore.com for $120. When they come in I will report back in a new thread.

13. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tylerw\";p=\"86597)</div>
    I just checked for my sister's zip code on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. No black available there now.

14. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse\";p=\"87563)</div>
    Perhaps that's all, but the missing #4 in Connecticut has been that way all along as I've always used Option Combination "D" (in 2005 model year anyway) to configure a #6 BC.

I do think there are zip code based configuration conditions as to what comes up otherwise, why ask for it?[/b][/quote]

Packages in Connecticut are now down to three choices where there used to be four: #3, #5 and #6 only.

15. smasho

smasho New Member

Black still works in Oregon. And having picked mine up last Saurday (black, #4, ivory) I can say it looks great and was worth the additional wait. Based on local observation, black is the least popular color. Silver and white are the popular ones.

I may, however, regret the ivory carpeting after a northwest winter. :?

Here's a question. If you could have your choice from the entire automotive palate, what color would you get? I'd like a bright, in your face redcomes to mind.

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd still take my Black. It just looks so sharp!
    smasho, don't worry about the Ivory interior. It's actually rather easy to clean. You can get reasonably-priced seat covers (toyotapartsstore.com) and there are a million threads in "care and maintenance" about cleaning the interior. super easy. :)