1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Brake Accumulator

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Aja Allen, May 27, 2019.

1. Aja Allen

Aja Allen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I need some advice. Awhile ago my mom was driving my Prius and three lights came on, the red brake light, ABS light and the (!) light. We took it to a quick mechanic so they could run the codes and he didn't see anything. He just said the codes read that the car was doing 112 mph at the time they came on which I know wasn't true but he restarted the lights and said if they come on again, he recommends going to a Toyota dealership because they'll know more. I was driving and I believe a few days later the lights came on again, same ones. Took it to the Toyota dealership and paid $120 for them to tell me that it was the brake accumulator and an abnormal leak of acc press. The total they quoted me for was $2649.54. I'm not putting that much into a car that I probably won't have in the next five years. So I was considering buying a used part on eBay but the part numbers are confusing me.

The code that the abnormal leak gave was C1391.
    The part of the brake accumulator was 4455-47091. but I found a part on eBay and the number is 44510-47050. Would that part still work?

My brakes work perfectly fine and if the lights never came on, I wouldn't have suspected anything. I barely have to tap the brakes and my car will stop. I've even done hard brakes to test it and my car stopped immediately.

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Contact your local dealer. Provide your VIN to get the appropriate part number.

That flea Bay part might be for a later model year Prius, which may or may NOT be compatible with your Prius. Dealer will know this.

3. Aja Allen

Aja Allen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The Toyota dealership that I went to checked it and the part that goes with my car is listed above but it’s the older model that they don’t make anymore. That’s why I’m trying to figure out if I can get a different number.

4. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I replaced the brake actuator in my 2008 Prius I did some research and found some info that may help you. The original part number for my 2008 Prius actuator was an exact replacement and was also the same design as the faulty actuator I was replacing. The new part number from Toyota was a redesigned actuator that corrected the problems of the faulty actuators and has a new part number.
    Toyota had a extended warranty on this item because of the number of people who were experiencing failures of this part. I missed the extended warranty by 2 months.

My experience was this job is it took me about two days and 8 to 10 hours to do. I initially ordered a used part from ebay and realized I was putting in a used part that was exactly the same faulty design as the part I was replacing. I sent the ebay part back for a refund and then ordered the new redesigned part. The new part cost $1134 the old salvaged part was $389- a substantial cost difference that may be a deciding factor for many.

Good luck however you proceed.

5. Aja Allen

Aja Allen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks John. Im nervous that that'll happen and the used part will start doing the same exact thing but I don't want to put down that much on a car that I don't even plan on keeping for that long. Where did you find your new part if you don't mind me asking?

6. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't mind at all. I did a search of the new part number for the actuator online and at the time Oalthe Toyota had the lowest price. Others on the forum have suggested using a new part from Dorman Auto parts at a price of $750. And others did the ebay route and reported success with installing a salvaged unit so you have a number of ways you could go.
    Your point about spending that much money on a car you may not keep for long is a good one. I recently traded my 08 Prius in and got about $2500 for it. Putting in parts that cost over $1000 on a car you may or may not keep and the limited value of the vehicle to others are all facts that enter into a decision as to wether or not to make this expense..
    If you have Techstream this will help quite a bit in the installation of the actuator and bleeding the brakes.
    Just in case you need it:
    Order Content

Part Number 44500-47141

Part Name Actuator Assembly

Price $1,134.95

Quantity 1

Total $1,134.95

Shipping (Fedex Ground - Home Delivery): $24.14

Total: $1,159.09

Company Information
    Toyota Parts Center,
    685 N Rawhide
    Olathe, Kansas, 66061
    USA
    1-866-596-1970

#6 John321, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
  7. Aja Allen

Aja Allen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thank you! When I look on dorman and type in the number above, it shows me an ABS control module with the number 587-765. Is that the same thing as the part I need? Also, if I scroll down under direct OE cross, the number that I need is listed.

8. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is the link to the Dorman part Dorman 587-765 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing.

You can call Dorman or the people that carry the part but it says 2009 to 2004.

This is a difficult involved job that not only requires mechanical and electrical skills but the ability to figure out the many different problems that come up on an involved job like this. It is not for the faint of heart or someone who would expect things to go perfectly. I am a skilled experienced mechanic and this job took me 2 days and 10 hours to do it right. Once you complete the challenge to install the part you still have an unusable vehicle until you calibrate the car to the new actuator and bleed the brakes.

These parts are expensive - I would download a Toyota Prius manual and make sure I knew exactly what I was getting in to. When you do this job there is a point where you must pass go and at that point you have an unusable hunk of metal sitting in your driveway for as long as it takes to do the job successfully.

Not questioning ability just letting you know what you are in for.

9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OP will need Techstream too.

Techstream is the OFFICIAL diagnostic and maintenance software made for Toyota/Lexus, and used at Toyota/Lexus dealerships. Bluetooth OBD2 readers and all the various apps for smartphones/tablets are junk: LIMITED code reading ability (can't read ALL codes) and can NOT do any maintenance (bleed brakes, engine compression check, activate CHRS pump, etc). Why waste money on a toy that limits what you can read and can't do maintenance?

Get mini VCI w/ Techstream from Amazon ($25+). Doesn't matter who you buy from, as the cables likely come from the same one or two suppliers from panda land. May have to return/buy a few, as some cables have problems. Installation easiest on a Windows 32bit OS (XP, Vista, 7). Ask friends/family if they know someone in IT, as this person will likely have obsolete laptops laying around, and might be able to donate for free. B/C the software is hacked, recommended to install on a spare laptop; do not use this laptop for sensitive information (log in & passwords: email, bill payments, etc). This laptop is now your Toyota/Lexus diagnostic laptop. Mac install possible, you just need to search online.

Should you stop driving a Toyota/Lexus, you can easily sell your Techstream laptop set-up here. Private Sales | PriusChat