1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius C1313 C1377 Brake Issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jdesigner, Apr 7, 2022.

1. jdesigner

jdesigner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I am a long time Prius owner (im on my 4th one) but never saw the need to join, although I have used this forum many times to trouble shoot issues(so thank you so much!)

Anyways I have roughly 275,000 miles on this Prius that I daily drive and have had very little issues. Last year I rebuilt the hybrid battery and upgraded the 12v battery to an optima at the same time and its been trouble free since until this week. After leaving the car sit outside in the parking lot for about a week while I used a different vehicle, I finally went to move it inside and to my surprise the dash lit up and showed the "BRAKE, VSC, ABS, TRACTION" lights. The car seems to drive fine, although I noticed the brakes felt very stiff.

I scanned the codes and this is what I got:

Error codes:
    C1313 Open circuit in Main Relay 2
    C1377 Current capacitor

I did a search on here and found a plethora of things that could cause it. So I went through some of the typical things it could have been;

ABS No.1 fuse
    ABS No.2 fuse
    ABS No.3 fuse
    Checked the Capacitor by the 12v battery
    Checked the grounds by the 12v battery
    Checked the orange HV battery connector to make sure it was locked down

I also went through the "DIAGNOSTICS – ELECTRONICALLY CONTOROLLED BRAKE SYSTEM" PDF

I did see some people mention that the harness can fail or mice can chew on the wires. Is there a common spot I can check for this type of issue? I would prefer not to pull the entire interior out to inspect the harness, but that might be my next step!

Any help would much appreciated!

2. jdesigner

jdesigner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No one huh?

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With what did you scan the codes? There are nine INF codes associated with the C1377 code (101 102 103 105 106 108 109 110 113) so knowing them will narrow down the diagnostic effort. Hopefully, your scan tool can retrieve these. If you cannot access the freeze frame data (which is where you will find the detail codes) then you need a better scan tool.

I'd chase down the C1313 first. Resolving that might eliminate the problem with the brake control power supply.

C1313
    Detection Conditions

When either condition below is met:
    • • Relay contact is off (BS2 terminal is less than 3.5 V) for at least 0.2 sec. when R2+ terminal voltage is 9.5 V or more and main relay 2 is on.
    • • R2+ terminal voltage is less than 9.5 V and main relay 2 cannot be on for at least 2 sec. when main relay 2 is turned on (BS 1 terminal is 3.5 V or more).
    Trouble areas:
    • ABS NO. 2 relay
    • Skid control ECU
    • Harness and connector
    DTC C1311/11 OPEN CIRCUIT IN MAIN RELAY 1 thru to DTC C1314/14 SHORT CIRCUIT IN MAIN RELAY 2

C1377
    Trouble areas:

• Brake control power supply
    • Harness and connector - ABS MAIN1 fuse
    • ABS MAIN2 fuse
    • ABS MAIN3 fuse
    • Apply high voltage
    As I mentioned there are nine INF detail codes that will greatly assist in troubleshooting this code. If you haven't seen this link before it will give you some guidance.

DTC C1377/43 CAPACITOR MALFUNCTION

I hope this helps

#3 dolj, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2022