1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius CEL on a week after coolant(s) replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by clongwor, Aug 5, 2019.

1. clongwor

clongwor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last week I went to the dealer (whom I've always trusted) for an oil change and detailing. They suggested changing the coolant and also the inverter coolant based on the age of the car (it has a little over 101,000 miles on it). I told them to go ahead.

A few days ago the CEL came on steady and as it was Saturday and I was at work, I made an appointment for Monday morning to bring it in.

Monday morning the light was off. I thought maybe it was because I fiddled with the gas cap. When I called, they said to bring it in if the CEL comes on again and cancelled the appointment. Of course it came on late today.

I wondered if the changing of the coolant had anything to do with this.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be a incomplete bleed job on the engine coolant. they should be able to read the codes

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The check engine light may be related to the coolant change as the 3 way coolant valve failure would light up the CEL.

Other possibilities for intermittent CEL could be

Bad catalytic converter
    Bad MAF sensor
    Bad 3 way valve

A bad gas cap usually would not be intermittent

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.